Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Finding a qualified referee

edited March 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I'm applying for a writers bursary from the Scotish Arts Council but need a "referee" to provide a "viewpoint" or something of my output. What do I do??? I've got it at one publisher, but I'm not sure I'll hear back from them before the grant deadline. Problem. I could just make something up...creative talent that I am...lol. 
  • Balloo, I'd suggest you contact the SAC to ask them for guidance on whom (in their eyes) qualifies as a referee. Funders often specify that a referee has to be one from a 'list' - the list of suitable referees may be quite broad though. Have you read or performed your work anywhere, for instance, or attended a creative writing course or workshop, or produced some copy for a business? That'd probably count, and many more besides.

I'm sure you were kidding, but I work as a fundraiser (freelance these days) and really strongly urge you not to make something up. The referee requirement that funders place on applicants of all sorts is very common and is absolutely not there to catch you out. SAC will almost certainly contact a referee if they are considering you for a grant because SAC money is public funds.
  • Hmm. Write something yourself, send it to someone who's likely to endorse it, and send a copy to the Scottish Arts Council in the meantime?
  • Unfortunately, I haven't been published anywhere, read anything out, or been on any courses. Is it possible I could send it to SAC pending the response from the publisher? SAC only want a twenty page synopsis, which isnt much to go on. Altho, that presents another problem...I have a six page synopsis that I could 'maybe' pad out to ten at a push. 
  • Balloo, I've looked at the detailed application form / guidelines on the SAC website. I'm assuming it's one of the new writer bursaries that you're applying for? I'm very happy to read through your draft submission (from a 'fundraising application tips' point of view) if that'd be helpful - contact me by e-mail either via Talkback or my website: www.jackson-salisbury.co.uk
  • Sorry to have to say this, but this lack of a referee thing might be a problem and it might be better to face up to it realistically now, rather than give yourself false hope. If you've never had anything published, placed in a competition, performed anywhere, or accredited as part of a writing course, then you're probably not in the position to put in a successful application at this point in your writing career.

That doesn't mean you should give up on the idea. Perhaps it just means that this year you should make it a priority to get work submitted, performed, etc. Have you considered signing up for a writing course? - if there isn't one locally (adult education centres and the WEA often run these) then a distance learning course like one of the WN home study courses would do just as well. If you aim to complete it within a year then you'd be able to make use of your course tutor as a professional referee when you apply to the Scottish Arts Council in a year's time. And you'd have the certificate, so that you'd be able to put on your application form that you are a serious writer who has demonstrated commitment to furthering your craft.

I don't mean this to sound negative. But in my day job we deal with the complexities of grant applications all the time. The money is so tight and the competition so fierce that unless you've got the right things on your CV, your application simply will not get looked at. Better to put some serious work into building up the CV so that you can apply confidently later. And better not applying at all, than fabricating your CV, whoever suggested that...
  • Amboline, I appreciate your point of view, but the SAC grant is a 'New Writers Bursary', so I feel entitled to a fair hearing. I don't think JKR had been on any courses or had any previously published material when she rcvd 12k from SAC in 95/96. I believe in the content and commercial potential of my work, so think it's worth a small 3k grant from SAC.   

Katy, thank you for your kind offer. If you're willing to assist I'd be very grateful.
  • More than happy to help Balloo. Please e-mail me via talkback or use the 'contact us' form on my website (www.jackson-salisbury.co.uk) - I don't like to post my e-mail address here because of risk of being deluged by spam if it gets picked up by internet spam-bot-spiders crawling the web!