Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Work, who needs it?

edited January 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• This is pretty trivial compared to Mad Doc Dribble's thread about her recent work experiences, but something at work has caused me some frustration and anger.

To cut a long story short, I work hard and conscientiously at a busy and often quite stressful job as a secretary (working for and as part of a team), have had only one day off sick in two years and worry a great deal about keeping on top of things and doing good work.  It was hugely demoralising, therefore, to hear from one of the guys I work for that the head honcho in our office had said to him, 'What does Helen do, anyway?  She only works for you and B.' (names withheld!)

I know I should ignore this and believe in myself, as I know what the truth of the situation is, but it's very hard not to let it prey on my mind.  What it makes me feel now, as I prepare for another week at work, is demotivated and as if a 'couldn't care less' attitude might not be the best way forward.  If caring gets me this response, how could things be worse?!

As Sarte said 'hell is other people'.  I only wish their opinions didn't matter so much to me.  Ah well, I have to keep telling myself that I'm only in this job to give me time to write (and supposedly less mental stress, to give me the mental space!) - and try to let the rest of it be like water off a duck's back.  And at least while I'm doing some mindless task, such as stuffing envelopes (because the department who should do it won't), I can think about my novel...  It's all nothing compared to what others have to cope with, I know, but sometimes that's hard to rationalise to yourself.

Anyone got any good tips for how to cure myself of ingrained worrying?  I don't want to reach 80 and say to myself, 'Crikey, I wish I'd worried less.'  I'd like to learn how to do that now and stop wasting time and energy on pointless stuff.
  • I think you have a temporary illness that makes you go slow, so all those things you do don't get done. You're still there but not knocking yourself out. Just long enough for it to be noticed how much you normally do.
  • Ah H, I do sympathise. If you are truly being undervalued at work (and you do only have this other guy's word for that - he may be mischief making because he is unhappy himself), could you consider moving on to another job? Or if you really want to stay where you are and you have been happy up until now, why not take your courage in both hands and talk privately with the person who allegedly made the comment? At least you'll know the truth that way. And if he did say it, you'll not only have the chance to calmly describe to him exactly what you DO do (some people are so self-absorbed they simply don't know what others aroud them contribute), but perhaps the motivation you need to take your expertise elsewhere.

Whatever you decide, I truly think you owe it to your own self-esteem and sense of self-worth to continue providing the top knotch performance you already do - whilst making progress on your own future plans behind the scenes.

I think the Doctor Pepper approach to stress relief is a good one, you know, from the advert - "What's the worst that can happen?". I'll be rootin' for ya!
  • Do you have an official written job description? Do the staff have reviews? That might be a way to bring to your bosses notice how much you do do.
  • I'd throw a sicky for a week and leave them to fend for themselves, they would soon realise just how much you do.
  • Hi Hippo.  Nobody's work is trivial.  What you do is very important.  The head honcho got where he/she is today on the back of people like you.  It's difficult not to get angry when you hear comments like that flying around.  And it's difficult not to care.  YOU know what you do is vital.  It's not easy changing a lifetime habit of worrying.  All you can do is keep telling yourself regularly to stop worrying. 
    Hell, I KNOW the NHS would fall apart in a day if all the secretaries walked out!  You can normally tell which Consultants' secretaries are on holiday by the glazed expression on their faces and the pile of paperwork teetering on the edge of their desks and sticking out of their coat pockets ...
  • Oh Hippo, I have so much empathy for you. Reading your thread just reminded me of so many times where I ended up feeling exactly like you. It took me a while, but I ended up making the decision to put myself first.

I used to give my firm so many hours and I actually ended up working myself sick! I wouldn't have time to eat and by the time I got home of an evening all I could do was get myself to bed. (I did this for years and actually ended up receiving 4 years worth of pay cuts! Talk about demoralising...and utterly stupid!) Now, I make sure I perform well during my working hours and I will occasionally put in some extra time - if vital.

The hardest part, I found, is dealing with your conscience. When I started leaving at 5pm each night, I'd have an overwhelming sense of guilt wash over me. Still, I had to be strong and remember that if I didn't look after myself my firm certainly wouldn't! Now, I have more time to myself which is so utterly precious; the thought of giving that up again for my work just seems completely mad!

Hippo, just hold on to what you know. You know that you have worked hard and have made sure the work has been done. You can prove that. These people that bitch and make hurtful passing comments are really not worth the time of day. I once had a colleague ask me what I did all day and I replied "it's called work. I'd sit here and show you but I don't have enough time to go through it all."
  • A fun solution to the problem of being dissed by work colleagues: write a novel/short story about a secretary who runs amok and murders all her colleagues as revenge for one dismissive comment too many. Base the characters on yourself and others if you wish, but not too close, and obviously the murdering bit will be all made up (lol). Think of various inventive ways you could kill them off – poison in the coffee machine (and your character drinks her own herbal tea), a staple-gun to the head etc. Make it a sort of comedy Agatha Christie where one character drops every chapter until you’re left with only the mad-eyed secretary left. It will enable you to let out all the venom while smiling sweetly at work. And you might make some money from publishing it as well – I’m sure it’ll strike a cord with many others out there.
  • Hippo, you look like you need a hug! (o) There you go.
  • Dear All

Thanks for the usual Talkbacker wit and wisdom (and long-distance cyber hugs) to cheer a girl up and make her realise she's not the only one!  Oh yes, and fictionalising it all is a definite plan for the future.

I've felt better over the last two days, partly as a result of trying to care less and to take things less to heart, while still doing a good job, and partly as a result of sharing the comment with colleagues.  The all round jaw-dropping confirmed to me that it's him (head honcho) that has the problem not me - as one of the other secretaries said 'You know, and we know, what you do.'  Those who work directly with me do know what I do and my officers very much value my work.

The comment was passed on to me with the best of intentions (too long a story to go into), by one of the guys I mainly work for - I think he just underestimated how sensitive I am.  You can be sure that having to deal with a teary-eyed female (and don't men enjoy that?!) will make him think twice about that kind of intervention in future.

I think it's the old, old story, as some of you have also experienced, of anyone who is good/efficient/dedicated being taken advantage of and taken for granted.

Mad DD, you're right to some degree - most of the officers we work for fall apart when their own regular secretary is off, even though the rest of us cover for them.  My mum gave me a mug which says something to the effect of 'Secretaries are loyal, efficient, dedicated and secretly rule the world'!

I'll be sticking it out for the benefit of my writing for some while yet and then financial reasons will probably lure me elsewhere - living on a shoestring is starting to lose its novelty value!  I've got about £3 to the end of the week for food…beans it is, then.

PS Ironically, I work for a union - join one, just don't work for one (Carol, no, we have no JDs or reviews!!!)
  • Glad you're feeling better Hippo.
    Says a lot doesn't it. You work for a union, but don't have a job description-ironic.
  • Your boss has a prolem, there is probably huge pessure on him to up the department efficiecy but he won't do it by demoalising the troops. When I reluctantly took the first step from engineer to manager a very wise coleague said to me "any fool can get the worst out of people but it takes a real mnager to get the best. Try and remember that in  good organisation to get to management you have had to be the very best employee and it is hard to be a mediocre manager when you have been used to being the star worker. Every manager must evaluate his or her staff to be sure their maximum potential is being used but o allow that query to be overheard is a bad mistake.  Many times I have sat in my office looking at the staff list and the output figures and thought what the hell are they doing, I could double theiir output but I didn't let them know, what good would it do?
  • Yes, H, I have two words on this and the expression may well not be acceptable on this site but the last word is "'em!"

It's taken me 49 years for me to learn this otherwise Buddhist response.... for it means, essentially, let them be themselves (their nasty selves, if you like) and you get on, pleasantly, with being YOURself!
  • Thanks, TT.  I've managed to put work behind me this week (and I'm off for another week - yee harrr), more successfully than I usually do, which is good.  Usually I ruin my free time worrying about it...
  • Well, enjoy it; it doesn't come round often enough!
  • I went for a job interview and came back demoralised. It is was more of an interrogation and their motto was to Serve with a smile.