Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I'm so proud of my son.

edited March 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I just wanted to share some good news on behalf of my son. He has just received confirmation of a place at college studying e-media. He still needs to get the grades (I've never seen him work so hard) that is since the letter arrived. However even if he doesn't get the grades he has a place on the foundation course, which he'll study for a year then go on to the main course. I'm hoping this will be the catalyst to some serious study.
  • Great news Butterfly's son!
  • Great news, Butterfly! Congratulations to him. I really hope he gets his grades. Knowing what you want to study and having a specific target are such a help.
  • Congratulations to your son Butterfly, and fingers crossed for good grades.
  • well done to your son buttrerfly!!!

quick ignorant question though: what is "e-media"?
  • Good news!
  • Well done, Butterfly's son.  He sounds well-focused on getting what he wants - a good thing.
  • Great news for butterfly's son and I am delighted he has something to direct his focus on but watch he does not burn himself out. A good forty five minutes brisk walk in the fresh air will aid his concentration. Very easy to get stale I can assure you. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. He needs to be reasonably fresh to sit the exams. Which college by the way?
  • Tell him 'well done!' Can we pick his brains if necessary? Has he begun to look around for possible employers or does he want to do freelance work?
  • Thank you all so much for all your good wishes. He is only fifteen and has about five years to go before he goes into the work place if he gets that far. It will all depend on his dedication. But I think he'll shine in this topic.

For those of you who know nothing about e-media, let me try to explain. They learn to produce computer games from the initial idea to completion of a computer game. They learn how to use computer animation to produce their own animation projects (characters, story board and script) They learn how to use motion capture which is where someone dresses up in a black suit has electrodes (or some such thing attached to them) they move as instructed and the movements are captured on the computer and their character (monster etc.) then moves when the captured motion is added. Along with modelling (Wallace and Grommet) style, for stop-gap animation projects and many other kinds of software. I wanted to join too, but I'm too old. Hmmph.

He will have to work very hard and keep up his focus, but he loves working on special effects (FX) at home and has recently produced a great piece of footage, where he changes his wooden pole that he waves around like a light sabre and has indeed added the effects that now make it look like he is wheeling a light sabre. It is amazing. It took hours but that what he loves.

I'm sure once he gets to grips with it he won't mind giving tips. I'll be the first in the queue.
  • Just tell me it's not Anime ... or manga
  • No it isn't, but he does like both of those!!
  • Congratulations to your son, Butterfly!