Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Gulping at news from Robert Hale

edited March 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Some news just through from Robert Hale the publisher of 'Pets in Prospect' last Dec.  They're running out of copies and I've had to put a reserve on most of those left for the forthcoming talks I'm giving otherwise there'll be none available.  Weird mixed feelings about it. Great that the book's done so well in such a short space of time. But worried that unless Hale does a reprint they'll be out of stock. I think it's hinging on whether a paperback deal could be done in time instead. All very nail-biting stuff. I think I'd better run outside and get a blast of the westerly wind sweeping across these Somerset hills.
    Tomorrow I'm off up to Crufts.  If any of you gang are up there and spot a peculiar chap with a 'Pets in Prospect' poster stitched to the back of his jacket come up and say 'Hello' if you dare.
  • Sorry I'm missing Crufts but your book's doing very well indeed, isn't it?  The Amazon reviews are also very positive.  I checked with my library and, no, we don't stock it at the moment - nor in the entire borough of Lewisham it seems - but they may well be waiting for that paperback.

I'd buy it.  It's right up my street (or up my perch!)
  • Hi Tessa. Thanks for checking. The book shouldn't ruffle too many feathers.  Actually through a bit of networkinng I've been able to get several libraries to get the book in just by colleagues requesting it.  If you saw fit........I know Askews Library Services have taken 50 copies.  It was No 8 in their best seller Pre Publication list for last Dec.
  • I finally got round to reading The Lady this afternoon, and loved the Llama story. It was so easy and comfortable to read so I can see that the book would be a very popular read.
    What was the first print run quantity?
  • Well done, the news might seem a mixed blessing, but good sales are always to be welcomed, I would say!  The 'sold out' aspect might even generate more interest/sales in that potential buyers might wonder what they're missing and place an order.
  • Funny you should say that Hippo. My wife said the same. But I don't think the 'prospects' of that happening are likely. However my fears were not allayed when I saw the Amazon ratings earlier this evening, My book had shot up to 10,000 and a red message had appeared stating there were only 5 copies left in stock, more on their way. Computer says 'No' or will do soon.
  • Well done, MW. I hope Robert Hale republish your book.
  • Thanks Carol for the kind comments about the llama story. Very typically 'Welshman' style geared to an easy read, And yes, you're quite right, it's the same for P in P. The print run was small - 750 - as I am an unknown and untested.  It's going to be intriguing to see what happens next esp with the current roll of publicity that's occurring. Would be a pity to have lack of availability at this time.
  • I'm delighted at your success, Malcolm; it seems that you've found a niche in the market. What seems equally clear is that profit driven publishers are not going to let you fade away. One way or another, the public's demands to read your book have to be met. I, for one, am waiting for a paperback edition to come out. I'd like to read PinP, some of Jay's work and Josie's book this summer.
  • Well done MW, your book has taken off like a greyhound!
  • or a Llama...  Well done with the book.  I'm hoping I'll still be able to find a Lady and see your llama pics.  Have a good day at Crufts.  I go on gundog day when I can but have had to miss it this year.  Can you get yourself interviewed by Ben Fogle?
  • Thank you, Howard! If you'd like any suggestions, just contact me the usual way.