Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Yet more publicity, can only be a good thing

edited March 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Just in case anyone hasn’t already seen from my other posts (mwahaha) I’m doing a booksigning at my local Waterstone’s. I’m on the Waterstone’s website for the booksigning. (copy-paste, as Jay says) I’m the second book down, between Mark Robson and Isabel Losada

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayDetailEvent.do?searchType=2&store=56|WATERSTONE%27S%20CARDIFF%20THE%20HAYES&sFilter=1

I sent a copy of the press release to the corporate dept here in the Trust, after asking my manager if it’s ok to do it. She said yes, so long as I stress that it’s personal and not related to work. I asked if they might put something about it on the internal network, inviting people who have an interest in literature to the event. There are 11500 staff in the Trust so it’s bound to pull a few in. Anyway, I was worried about them thinking it’s cheeky as it’s not related to work and they usually advertise promotional events and things about health etc. But lo! I had an email back saying they’d like to interview me for the newsletter.

I’m doing a Captain Underpants “Tra-la-la” now, dancing around the office feeling fabulous.
  • Well done! Let us know how it goes.
  • Excellent! I'm sure your colleagues will be extremely interested in all your achivements with the book and the signings - and also possibly a  bit envious too!!

By the way, I bought a book by Isabel Losada which was recommended to me by a friend. It's called "The Battersea Park Road to Enlightenment" and is very, very funny, all about her attempts to carve a 'spiritual path' for herself through trying out yoga, Goddess workshops, tantric sex (can I say that on Talkback??!), colonic irrigation and all manner of other activities.
  • Good luck with it all Josie.
  • Sounds fun. The book she’s signing tonight is ‘Men!’ all about men and what they want from women. She’s supposed to be a real life Bridget Jones. Hmm, not sure I’d be interested in men particularly, but might be interested in tantra, yoga and colonic irrigation! At least if it’s dealt with in a humorous manner. I wonder if I should go, just so that I could see what happens at these events. (could go undercover with my old grey dog-walking coat and sunglasses) I’ve got a lot on at the mo, but it would be good to see how they work. Hmm.
  • Hey, Josie, have you contacted Queer Up North? They might be interested. The website is, not surprisingly, queerupnorth.com - but it took so long I had to go through Google to get there.
  • By the way, you'll need to act quickly if you're to get anything in this year's festival thingy.
  • And also the book group? You'll find their e-mail address if you look through this site:

http://www.bookgroup.info/041205/review_archive.php
  • Well done, Josie.  Good luck with all that you're doing.

Isobel Losada's book is extremely readable and she's a very down-to-earth correspondent.
  • Now I'm JK!!

Another thing that made me laugh this morning. I sent the press release about my book signing to the corporate department in my workplace (NHS Trust, 11500 employees) hoping they might mention it on their internal website. Well, as well as putting it on the site they’ve asked if they can interview me for the internal newsletter which is fabulous.

The thing that made me laugh was that the mention on the website refers to me as ‘Our very own JK Rowling…’ haha, not! If I was anywhere near JK Rowling’s earnings then I wouldn’t be working here. But it made me smile. I emailed Alys and she replied with “You are my JK, anyway.” I love her so much.
  • And it seems like only yesterday when someone said to me: "The new Harry Potter's out," and I replied: "Oh, what's the name of his book, then?" (I'm also the person who tried to play the flip side of CDs.) Must jot these down so I can use them sometime.
  • Easy mistake to make Jay. I grew up with black vinyl singles- the good old days- and you did play both sides!
  • :) at Josie (the new JK) and Jay (who wouldn't be a dee-jay then).

As long as you have the kind of support and love you receive from Alys, you have all the support in the world, Josie.  Onward and upward, I say, and let JK be on her toes.
  • haha Jay! Thanks TT

I think I may have tried to play the flip side of a CD or DVD before now...
  • Josie, have you contacted libraries? They might buy your book, and they run readers' groups. I did have a contact at Brighton, but not sure if she's still there. Think it might have been a Jo H, oddly enough.
  • I have a library plan on my things to do list. I’ve friends all over the country and am encouraging everyone I know to go to the library to request the book, if they can’t afford to buy it themselves, and even if they are planning to buy it!

Well I’ve picked up my hire car and I’m just doing a morning at work before I drive down to Dorset to the literary event. I remembered to put my camera in my bag, and a copy of the book (nearly forgot that would you believe!) and I’ve selected my reading, basically the same one as last time. I haven’t got time for a lengthy speech as I’m one of many but will say a few brief words before my extract.

There is also poetry going on in the evening so I’ll stay for that and then drive home tonight. Got to get the car back at 9 am tomorrow, eek. Will give an update on how everything went at some point over the weekend. Can’t promise it’ll be tomorrow as I have a punishing day as well, karate squad training in the afternoon and going out with a friend in the evening to celebrate him coming off tag.