Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How many writers does it take to change a light bulb?

edited March 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Err, well one will suffice - so long as that one has a screwdriver, a wad of toilet paper and about 10 minutes spare.  At the end of my writing session this morning the bulb on my desk lamp blew.  It's a dinky little lamp that cost a whopping £3 from IKEA, possible 18 months ago - this is the first time the bulb has gone.

So I unplugged it and had a look, only to realise that the bulb is behind a glass plate held in place by two screws which require a Philips head screwdriver.  Out with the screwdriver, off with the plate, then back into the cupboard to try to find one of the two spare bulbs I bought with the lamp.  Only to find a picture on the bulb packaging of someone holding the bulb, but with a big cross through the picture.  Ahhh.  What was this telling me - 'don't hold the bulb'?  Mmmm, how to fit it, then?  A second picture showed fingers holding the bulb, but with a tiny bit of what looked like paper between fingers and bulb. 

I realised what they meant when I then tried to pull the bulb out (held in by two prongs) - it wouldn't give and with the amount of pressure I was exerting it seemed all too likely the glass would break.  Bring on the wad of toilet paper to protect precious typing fingers.  I finally got the bulb out and then spent another 2-3 minutes trying to push the replacement in without smashing it.  Incidentally, these bulbs are less than an inch long and even with my skinny little fingers are hard to manipulate.

By the time I'd finished and put everything away, I couldn't help thinking maybe I should have just bought two spare lamps at that price, instead of two bulbs, and replaced the whole lamp...  Only joking, I'm more environmentally aware than that!
  • Them be halogen bulbs. They stop working when touched by fingers. I cannot remember why (had it explained to me, but failed to grasp the concept). But that's why they are always behind a glass plate.
  • Hippo, your story was most enlightening. Well, eventually you saw the light - I hope.
  • Halogen lamps are easily contaminated.

The oils/moisture naturally excreted from human skin shortens operating life of the bulb. High temperature of the bulb cooks any surface film.

That being an over simplified answer, I expect someone will post the full scientific reasons to correct misinterpretation.
  • All that and a cement-works opposite, too!

Yes, the beauty of the halogen bulbs is that they don't need replacing very often.  The downside is the palaver when they eventually wear out.  Better not say too much, mine are still up and running at the moment.
  • Anyanka and Jan, thanks for the explanations.  Well, you live and learn.  I had no idea.  I thought IKEA were just trying to protect my li'l old fingers.  Unfortunately I did poke the bulb with my fingers for some time before adopting the toilet paper armour, so no doubt this one will last about a week before blowing.  I'll know for next time, anyway.