Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Stinky old printer

edited March 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Why, oh why, does my horrid, nasty, smelly old printer know when it's really important that something is printed out immaculately?  It must do its worst on purpose.  Something I need to print out and send off immediately has come out all wavy.  I've changed the cartridge, changed the paper, aligned heads, cleaned heads and nozzles and it still blows its version of a raspberry at me.  Earlier, when it didn't matter, it was perfect.  Sodding machine.
    ('s'okay - I don't expect an answer, it's just one of those Gggrrrrrr aaarrrgghhh moments.)
  • Totally sympathise.  It's called Techno Sod's Law! 

Yes, I too have had it happen just when that all important m/s needs to go off in sparkling form, or that CV needs to be printed.

My answer?  Keep a few printers handy.  They cost about the price of a couple of legit print cartridges and are just sitting there ready for those grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr occasions!  Mine are in the garage but the boxes are stackable and you can always shove them in a wardrobe or somewhere.
  • Mine usually runs out of an ink cartridge just when I need to print something urgently. Even if my black cartridge is full, if a colour runs out it won't print in black.
    You can guarantee I've not yet got the replacement cartridge.
    Take a deep breath and find a friend with a functioning printer.
  • The gremlins must be hanging around and they're thinking 'Let's annoy Anna!'
  • TT, you decadent creature, you - spare printers?  I'm lucky if I can find spare pants...chores such as washing get left to the last minute in favour of writing these days!
  • Too much information ...
  • Sometimes if you try "Fast normal or fast" print option you can get the printer to work.Use this if it is a draft to save ink.
  • Ha ha my "new" spare printers are in fact old ones that seemed to malfunction at crucial point and I've ended up buying new to replace the things when desperate (and when well-paid!).  However, later, when I've realised they work after all, they've sometimes come into their own.  Even as a spare for my daughter, Anna's, laptop.  Well, it saves her from shoving me off the pc which she is otherwise wont to do... 
  • Sorry, Jay, didn't mean to make you blush.