Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

When to move on to the next project.

edited January 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I've been waiting for editorial notes on one novel from an agent and comments on a second from a publisher, but have heard nothing. This has meant I've been waiting to start my next project. I didn't want to be half way through it when and if I'm asked to make changes or even better get a contract. (I can hope)
    I'm still positive. However, after waiting for so long and calling twice to find out what is happening. I've taken the spade by the handle and have begun my new work. I'm now on chapter five and it is flowing beautifully. I suppose it was time for the story to be written. If and when I hear about the other two I'll decide what to do then.
    What do you do in this situation? How long do you wait?
  • I generally don't wait at all. As soon as I've posted one thing off, it's off my mind and I move on to the next thing. Then if I need to make changes I'll look at it with a fresh eye. But then I'm someone who's always got several irons in the fire so I’ve no problem putting one project aside so that I can work on something else and then going back to it.
  • Josie I do have a few small projects on the go at one time, but when I attack a major project I like to have room to work, so to speak. I'm often writing plot lines ect. while I wait or doing short stories, but this is the first time I've attacked a new novel while waiting for two to come back.
  • This is the first time I've ever had two things being seriously looked at. I suppose it feels I should wait for them to come back so I can pay attention to them if required. But I get what you are saying. If I wait and nothing comes of it I've wasted presious time. I shall take a page out of your book dorothyd and keep writing even big projects once I've sent the work out. I have had three novels on the go at once and it has worked, but I always tend to get into one and the others sit waiting. So I suppose I have kind of done what you've said, but didn't really notice it that much. Hmmmm
  • I'm about to submit the full MS for my first book by the end of this month, so concentrating on completing that first.  But in the meantime since I got the contract and knew it was going to be published, I've been stacking up notes / ideas for future proposals and writing a bit of these on the side throughout so I know what I'll be moving onto next. Ist book is non-fiction, (due to be published mid-July), so don't know if this would be as straightforward to do with fiction?
  • I see what you mean about feeling like you should wait because there are two already being looked at, but honestly it’s better not to. I’ve got four unpublished novels and all of them regularly go ‘out there’ and get reworked then sent out again. Sometimes I wonder if I should abandon the earlier ones in favour of my latest, but then that’s devaluing the time I spent on them, and I do think that they’re worth it.

I met Jacqueline Wilson (v prolific children’s novelist) a while ago and one thing that she said was that she’s always working on her next novel while editing her previous one, and having one in the pipeline for publishing. She puts out several books per year so she’s probably about a year in hand. Whenever anyone (journalist or fan) asks her what she’s working on, she’ll tell them about the next book to be published, which is actually two or three behind what she’s working on! This is someone who is not speculative as her editors presumably accept any book she sends them, but she has years of doing this so it must be a workable routine.

My advice is seize the moment! When inspiration strikes, that’s when to write. So long as the family isn’t starving and have clothes to wear, I’m immersed.
  • That sounds like sound advice to me. Thanks. You are right. I'm just going to get on with it and enjoy writing this new book. I can't wait for the evening chores to have been completed so that I can get back to it.
  • All the best, Butterfly, with the books you have sent out. I hope you will one day see then both on the bookshop shelves.
  • Wouldn't that be wonderful, Stan. I can but hope.
  • It's a great feeling when you see your book for sale in a bookshop - I know!
  • I agree with others.  Do it all.  You'll find the changes from one project to the other is a good practice for working to deadlines and keeping up the pace.
  • Just get on with it, is my way.  In any case, even as I'm writing the book, I'm jotting down on Word notes for other stories/books.  It seems to happen that way.

The only way to be a writer is... write!  (You may laugh when you see the number of posts I've chucked up recently but I'm having a few days off for further research - that's fun at times, though frustrating in that various pieces of research have thrown my story out of sync.  Never mind... )
  • I like this thread! Very interesting indeed. Well, I have quite possibly far too many projects on the go at once! Including three novels, but I believe this helps stimulate my brain and keep me on my toes. I believe too, that as a writer it is important to grab everything that comes into your mind and use it to whatever advantage you can.
  • I must say you are all an inspiration to any newcomers on the scene, like myself. It is great to see and read such positive comments. I can rearly get near a computer, due to a large family using the main one when Id love just to browse and see whats happening out there!!! I do all my writing by longhand , so Im delighted to see that you all have several projects on the go. Im sane, just like you lot, Ive got all sorts happening at the one time. Its very comforting to know I am not alone.