Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Can I call this a ‘book tour’?

edited March 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Very exciting time for me. I had my book launch in London on 1st Feb and there was talk of having a round of signings at various book shops. It didn’t happen in Feb due to book shop managers only wanting local authors, and the Cardiff manager being off sick (like half of Cardiff at the moment with a dreadful flu). Anyway, now it’s being set up – I’ve got a signing at Cardiff Waterstones (in the Hayes in case anyone can make it) on Tues 13th March at 6.30pm. My publishers are also arranging for me to be at a literary event on Friday 9th March at 7-9pm in Blandford Forum, Dorset at Huckleberry’s bookshop which will involve some poetry and other authors as well as me. There will be free champagne at both events and invites to the local press etc.

This is all very exciting, obviously, and a bit of a whirlwind as it seems to be happening quite quickly. (This is quickly for me who’s been a writer for over twenty years and barely had a bite, you understand.)

So my question is: would you call this a ‘book tour’, or is it just general publicity and marketing? MW, you’re doing a lot of publicity stuff for your book at the moment – do you refer to it as a ‘book tour’ and anyway, is a book tour something to aim for and be particularly proud of or is it enough just to be getting the book out there? Any thoughts welcome.
  • Same here. Remember your camera.
  • Thanks for reminding me - I need a new battery! I'm hoping I'll get a good press clipping, but it helps to have my own camera too.
  • Call it whatever you like I say, they're your events!  Well done, have fun, and remember to report back!