Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Commission success..

edited January 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• It all started in Autumn 2004. Back then I was just dipping a toe into the world of words, my ambition one day to write and see in print my travel pieces. I was so excited because Wanderlust had just published a letter of mine. As a result of this I was entitled to choose a travel book. My destination of choice? Bhutan.
    In March 2006 I went to Bhutan and had the most wonderful time. In September I won a travel writing competition after submitting a piece about my experiences in this incredible country. My prize this time was a holiday in Portugal as well as the satisfaction of seeing my words and photographs in print. Also, the company I traveled with published it in their emailed newsletter http://www.exodus.co.uk/bhutanadventures, and this Spring (January – March 2007) sees it reproduced again in Bhutan Airline’s in-flight magazine ‘Tashi Delek’. Some of you may read it if you are fortunate enough to fly to Bhutan during this time for the mesmerising Paro festival. See I travelled to Bhutan last March please see article I wrote:http://www.tashidelek.in/
    Then PDF download see - Page 36 exploring Bhutan
    But it doesn’t end there because I’ve now been approached to write further articles on Bhutan and also other places I’ve visited. I’m not quite ready to chuck in my day job but I’m really enjoying my writing and I’m learning all the time. Val
  • Val, what about your experiences in Portugal. I have been there myself when my father was serving as a Naval and Air Attache in Lisbon. It was on the whole one of the best episodes of the 1970's which for me on the whole was not one of my favourite decades but it more than made up for it. It was the Navy's way of saying thank you to my parents for the welfare work at Honington.  We were in a flat for a few months then moved over to Restello area, renting a house that belonged to the nephew of General Franco no less. He attended the same school in England, Downside at the same time as the son of mutual friends, Patrick Banning.  The world isn't half small when you think of it.
  • Sounds marvellous. Keep at it, Val. When I get a moment will certainly look at your articles.
  • So pleased your hard work has resulted in such success. Travel stuff can be hard to get into apparently, but you have made a good start. And now they are coming to you.
  • Congratulations!
  • Well done. I wish you many more successes.
  • Since I posted this success I have written and submitted the commissioned article to the inflight magazine. 

Due to my dyslexia I always have to to have my work proof-read.  It's an expensive but unavoidable fact of my life.  However I had a problem with this last submission.  According to non-dyslexic friends my proof-reader managed to disimprove my article to the extent that I'm going to have to contact the editor and explain myself.

I need a proof-reader I can trust or at least another writer who is willing to look at my work before submission to correct my spelling and any glaring grammatical mistakes I have made.  Is anyone out there?
  • I’ve worked as a proofreader and am quite happy to proofread and edit for you if you email your work to me and I can email it back. No need to meet up. PM me if you want to discuss. I love reading travel articles, and love travelling.

Well done, by the way!
  • And well done you Josie, for volunteering your skills.
  • Well done Val!
  • Val I hope you weren’t put off when I mentioned payment. I meant it to demonstrate that I did this professionally, but I was offering to do some for you for free, or an acknowledgement when it’s published.