Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

WN shortlisting in The Weekly News

edited January 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• The story I had shortlisted in Writers News 'First Line' competition last year, called The Night of the Mange Tout, has been accepted for The Weekly News and will appear in it next month.

The Weekly News are looking for 'edgier' crime and ghost stories up to 2000 words, and even better, editor, Billy Higgins, prefers email submissions. So if anyone is interested (the rates of pay have just risen) his (spam proofed) email address is whiggins(at)dcthomson(dot)co(dot)uk.
  • I didn't even realise the Weekly News was still going.  I haven't noticed that title for years.  However I'll definitely check it out now as I've been thinking of turning to crime - so to speak.
  • Well done, Sally Q, and thanks for the tip!
  • Well done, Sally!
  • Thanks everyone.
  • I know Asda was selling it. One of the writers in our club had a few stories published with them.
  • Well done!
  • SallyQ forgot to congratulate you. Well done.
  • SallyQ will be able to tell you what it looks like now, but about two years ago it was a thin tabloid black and white newspaper style.
    It's probably on sale in a few places, but I've only seen it in Asda.
  • To be honest, I haven't seen it for ages myself. This is the DC Thomson page about it http://www.dcthomson.co.uk/feedback/ad_weekly_news.asp

But it is more of a newspaper than a magazine in look.
  • Congratulations, Sally!  Have you come down yet?
  • Congratulations, Sally!  About two or three  years ago I won an electric Carmen globe, which emits different sounds, such as birdsong or ocean waves and different soothing light and aromatherapy smells, just for writing the Star letter in the same paper, also bought in Asda.                       
  • LOL Tessa. Maybe once I've cashed and spent the cheque ;-)

My mother always used to buy The Weekly News, but I haven't, not for years. I feel that I should get one this week now.
  • Well done Sally.
    I haven't heard of the Weekly News, just looked at dct's website for it, is it a paying market?
  • Yes, Moira, they pay for short stories and articles.

Thanks!
  • That's great news, SallyQ - Congratulations!
  • Well done SallyQ
  • Thanks a lot for the tip about The Weekly News.  Following your suggestion, I submitted a story too and I've just been notified that it's been accepted.
  • 'Edgier' crime' - Could you elaborate just a little.  I tend to write 'horror', which doens't often go down well with weekly/monthly magazines (LOL), I've got a couple of short stories that I feel may fit into 'edgier', but I could do with a bit of guidance before I make a complete A**e of myself
  • sorry for posting twice...just wanted to add my congratulations to SallyQ and Montholon
  • I suggest you email Billy Higgins, whose address is towards the top of this thread.  I've found him both approachable and helpful.
  • Thanks for the congrats.  We must have pressed 'submit' almost simultaneously.
  • Thanks montholon.  I'll email him
  • Well done, Montholon.
  • Yes, what Monlothon said, Starpanda ;-) I don't think edgier really means very dark as I sent a middling dark story to Billy and he rejected it. I think it's the sort of thing that Billy knows it when he sees it, and as Monlothon said, he is very approachable and friendly.
  • Thankyou SallyQ!
  • Almost forgot, congratulations! Would Billy take submissions from o/s?
  • Well done Sally.
  • Kangaroo, as Billy accepts submissions by email, I don't suppose he minds where they come from.
  • Thank you Sally, I will buy an edition sometime this week if I have time and look at their website now. I have taken down the details,put his address in my email address book for future reference