Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

HELP PLEASE - SUBSRIPTION

Comments

• This afternoon I reknewed my subscription over the phone for £44.88 On the letter I recieved through the post it clearly stated that I would be sent a free book. 'How to write a blockbuster.' The lady on the phone however said I wouldn't. Now, I was in a rush and when she asked if I was paying by credit card or debit, I may have said yes, to the credit card. Shall I call again tomorrow and state my mistake and ask if I do get a book?
  • Subscription* Doh!! Sorry, was glaring at me.
  • Yes, ring and ask for clarification. Did the letter say the book was only for those renewing by post? If not then ring and ask about the book- if they've run out ask what they are substituting in its place. Only fair after all.
  • I believe the book only comes with a Direct Debit order. Right I've just checked my subscription letter. I've yet to do mine but I've just taken a look and it says if you pay in full you don't get the book, the book only comes with the direct debit. Quarterly Direct Debit or yearly Direct Debit. The Cheque or credit/debit card NO BOOK
  • That's a pity. Usually it's the other way round, pay in full and you get something.
    My subscription is due this month, so I better check it's gone through when I get my bank statement.
  • Thanks guys. What a **** rule! If you hand over the full price for a yearly subscription you ought to get a free book no matter how you pay.
  • From a marketing (and sales) point of view, magazines, charities etc want you to pay subscriptions and membership fees by direct debit / standing order because when you pay like this it is likely to 'keep on rolling' from one year into the next. It also reduces admin costs - all payments are made electronically from your bank or credit card to their bank account once the DD or SO is set up without the need for reminders. DD and SO typically enhance longevity of the subscription compared to other payment methods. And it helps them with their cash flow / financial forecasting for accounting purposes.

The free gifts often associated with this method of payment are an incentive to the customer to encourage their sign up (and likely longer retention) and a reward to you from the company for doing so.
  • Guess what? Receievd an email stating that I am entitled to a book after all!
  • I am so glad to hear that you are entitled to the book.  Probably just the boost you need I should imagine