Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Interesting letter from Barbara Erskine

edited December 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Some time ago, I wrote a letter to Barbara Erskine with a possible proposal to write a screenplay of one of her books House of Echoes[I don't know if anyone has ever read it but it is a great page turner] and I told her it would make a great film for smalll or large screen, suggesting possible music, Urge to Go. She seemed very enthusiastic about the idea and suggested I got in touch with her agent who deals with the film side so who knows where this could lead to. I didn't think she would reply, thinking this would be pie in the sky so I was very pleasantly surprised so living up to my pioneer Scottish tendencies, I am considering having a go. I sent her a thank you email and an email to her agent so fingers crossed everyone. I am also going to help with a project at the RST, creating study packs for the schools. -2007 is going to be quite interesting - barely wait.
    Woll22
  • Well done, and best wishes for a successful New Year, and hopefully this project.
  • Well done wolf.
  • Well done Woll!
  • Good for you, Woll.  Good luck in 2007.
  • Is this the first such approach you have made?

I would certainly expect that most such correspondence would be (at best) ignored!

Hope it works out well for you.
  • Go for it, Woll!
  • I am in regular correspondence with Barbara so far. Her agent seems to have shut down for Christmas and the New Year but who can blame him, he is like everyone else, entitled to a holiday after all so I will make some kind of a start. Read through and note the characters etc. I am also at some future date, going to suggest to another agency about Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials. I know it is a children's/teenagers book but it is well worth a read. May I wish everyone on WN[Talkback] a very Happy New Year and enjoy the celebrations if you are holding a party. I hope last night's Grumpy New Year did not put anyone off. For us, well we will celebrate with the media but don't let that stop anyone else. 
  • I wish you every success with this and keep us posted.  I am a huge Barbara Erskine fan and agree that 'Echoes' would adapt really well for the screen.
    My personal favourite, though, is Hiding From The Light - very strong characterisation I thought and a really tense storyline.  Also, I fell in love with Mike Sinclair!!  Good luck!
  • Well done Woll, and good luck!
  • Recent development - had an email from Julian Friedmann her agent who has given me the amber light to write a couple of scenes. At the moment I am going through the book to get a general roadmap, pardon the common idiom so I am absolutely clear how I am going to go about this. Do a synopsis for each chapter and scene and then do the initial screenplay scenes at the beginning of the book, House of Echoes. Pretty gritty stuff. If it does get off the ground so to speak, a lot of care is going to have to be taken where children are concerned as this sort of thing can be very impressionable but I guess they, the directors, producers, casting directors etc will know what they are doing, I hope.
  • Great news Woll, let's hope they are happy and impressed by the work you submit. Good luck.
  • Go girl!
  • Having Julian Friedmann ask to see some sample scenes is a great step. He is one of the best film agents in the business. Good luck with it.
  • Whoo, hoo! Good luck!
  • Well I have made a start at any rate with the script, opening with Joss's mother leaving Belheddon Hall then a jump of thirty years on. I know this is probably not my part of the ship anyway but there is no harm in having a visual idea is it. I can think of a few who could take the prime parts, the girl who was in Bleak House or Anna Friel, Stephen Thomkinson taking the role of Luke and David Tregorran, wait for it, Phillip Glennister - yes a bit of a secret fan of his. He has what I call a rugged handsome quality to his face.  As for the theme music, Carl Jenkins The Armed Man from Benedictus. Has anyone heard it on Classic FM. As there is a Tin man mentioned in the book, it could not be more appropriate. Well there is no harm in perhaps mentioning it if and when I pull this off is there?