Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Celebration!

Comments

• Well done Evaine, onward and upward from now on.
  • Good news Evaine.
  • Many congratulations, Evaine. Here's to you.
  • Evaine, Please, please google your agents and see what it says. There may be problems.
  • Thank you, Jay - having serious cold feet now.
  • I think Jay means, make sure that your contract protects you and that you get whats due to you and your rights are protected etc

Its all looking good for you so far :O) and I am sure it will be fine :O)

Gary and Carol :O)
  • Well, I did have the contract looked over by a friend who used to be a barrister, and she thought it was alright.
    So far, I actually have nothing to complain about - they've behaved exactly as an agent is supposed to behave, and they haven't asked me for money.
    So, what I've done is sent an email asking them for a comment on the adverse publicity that's around on the web about them, and I'll see what they say and go from there.
  • Tessa - "and it'll be no tribble at all!"
    (I'm another long time ST fan!)
  • I am sure it will all be ok, your friend gave it the go ahead :O)

Good luck :O)

Gary.
  • I do hope this works out for you Evaine. I'm not a big Star Trek fan but I have enduring memories of Trouble with Tribbles.  A classic.
  • Congrats and good luck Evaine!

By the way, do you know there's a 3 minute programme on Channel Five at 19 50 on Hay on Wye today?  I think there was one yesterday as well, which the comedian/writer Mark Billingham presented.  Could be a repeat. 
  • Greetings from the rollercoaster!
    I have now been asked for money for editing.

I think not.

Time to look elsewhere.  (And they haven't answered my email asking them about the adverse publicity yet - they're quick enough to send the one with the price list, though.)
  • Well at least you found out the truth about them before you went any further.  Lots of luck with the ms.  Believe in yourself and it's only a matter of time before someone else spots your talent.
  • Thanks, Tessa and lily.

I did get a reply to my query about the adverse publicity last night.  It seemed to be another form email, which suggests I'm not the first to have asked, and it made quite interesting reading.
    I've made the right decision to back out, though.
    If anyone is interested in the wording, they can pm me.
  • Latest update - I sent the first three chapters to an agent listed in The Children's Writers and Artists Yearbook.  Start at the top, I thought.  Send it to the one who deals with Tamora Pierce and Michael Morpurgo, and a whole host of other well known children's writers.  They can only say no, and then you can send it to the next on the list, and so on.

There was a letter waiting for me when I came back from holiday, much sooner than I expected to hear from them.

They want to see the whole typescript!

It's just as well my boyfriend came to stay over for a few days.  He was able to pick me up off the floor and calm me down, and pass me paper while I was printing the whole thing out (while simoultaneously going 'weeble').

They should have it by now, so it's back to biting my fingernails again.
  • Great news Evaine.
  • Yipee! WEll done!
  • This seems like VERY positive progress.

At last, fingers crossed!
  • Well done! Hope all goes well for you.
  • Hope you get a positive response.
  • Ever hopeful - good luck
  • As is often said on another forum I frequent - wooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
  • Ah, well - they sent it back.
    The rejection slip said they weren't enthusiastic enough about the story to take it on for me.

So, like the addict I am, the first thing I did was take the Children's Writers' and Artists Yearbook down off the shelf to look for someone else to send it to.
  • Yes, good for you Evaine. You were close, and with your tenacity I bet you get there soon.  Good luck with your next submission.
  • As said, keep at it and try again.
  • Hi Evaine
    You have to keep going. The fact that the entire MS has been looked at by an agent is very encouraging in itself. The reality is that most writers just get a standard 'thanks, but no thanks' rejection slip in response to their initial approach. I've got dozens of the blasted things!
    If the agency made any detailed comments, do look at these carefully to see if you can improve the MS in some way - and EVERY MS can be improved!
    I do hope you have better luck with the next agent you approach.
  • Thanks, everyone - this is very encouraging.  I keep telling myself that I am already in the top 3% of authors just because my whole ms has been looked at (twice, now).
    I've almost finished the sequel, too.
  • I'm resurrecting this thread to give the latest news on my efforts to get published.
    I finished a second story, set in the same fantasy world as the first, but with only a few minor characters in common.  I think it's a better story - the plot doesn't meander; it's more focussed on one main character.
    So I sent it to the first agent who had asked to see the full manuscript of my first story.  Since they liked that, I thought there was a good chance they would like this one, too.
    And they do!
    I got the letter this morning asking to see the full manuscript!
    Yippee!
  • That's the way to do it.

Well done Evaine. Proof that positive thought really does produce positive action and reward.
  • Well done, fingers crossed this does better.
  • Well done Evaine.
  • Evaine, this is great news! I really hope it gets an offer.
  • Well done! Keep going, you'll get there!
  • I do have a bunch of characters urging me on!  (and a fun world to play in)
  • Good luck Evaine.  Your persistence will pay off.
  • I got the manuscript back yesterday - but with the best rejection letter I've ever had.
    (I can say that after half a bottle of red wine, three episodes of Richard Greene's Robin Hood, and a chat on the phone to my boyfriend, which is what it took to cheer me up again).

Two readers read the story, and one of them remembered my first story.  She said that she could see straight away that the plot was more coherent.  They liked the historical details.  They liked the setting - but they couldn't work up enough enthusiasm for the main character.
    However, she did finish by saying that she'd be interested in seeing anything else I write.

So this morning I've decided to go back to another story (the sequel to the first one I wrote) and change it around so that it stands alone.  I've already got about 60,000 words of that written, but I'll have to take a couple of characters out, and generally streamline it.  I think the main character is more likeable than the one in the  other story, too.

It's going to be a hard slog, but I think it's going to be worth it.

Besides, I'm addicted.  Any sane person would have taken up knitting by now.  (I've done that too, but I can't stop writing).
  • At least it was a positive response Evaine, with an indicator of where you need to work on things.Keep going.
  • This is an amazing post to read! I tell you what you should publish the post – it’s inspiration for any writer. Send an email to Writers News with the link, I’m sure they’d be into quoting it. I’ve had experiences like that as well (they want you, they don’t want you, it’s like pulling the petals off a daisy), but we keep on plugging at it and that’s why we succeed in the end. Evaine you are obviously meant to get there eventually, and three novels in is a good time.

I’m really interested in the story, love all things Welsh and medieval (live in Cardiff). Did you ever pursue the grant to get it translated? Try the Arts Council for Wales, in fact try them for other grants because they also give out grants to writers who write in English but where the novel is set in Wales. http://www.artswales.org.uk It would be great to see more of this genre published as there is a paucity and distinct lack! Let us know how it all pans out.
  • In fact, it occurred to me earlier to suggest a competition for the best/most inspiring thread on Talkback. I’d nominate this one.
  • You must be on the right track, Evaine to get a 'positive rejection' inviting you to send them something else. I wish you all the best.
  • Congratulations and goodluck with your next piece!
  • Keep at it Evaine, you are progressing even though there seem to be many a snag to trip your path.
    I have had encouraging rejections, it's just finding time to write/rewrite further submissions. So don't get bogged down, write, write, write.
  • Evaine, I've only just come to this thread and have joined with you in your excitement/disappointment / optimism and dedication. You have the lot running through here. Like many others I'm sure, I'm in the same boat as you. Being asked for the full MS but not getting that ......YES.....but getting the show me more. But, as you say, this is how we learn and grow as writers. It is great when you actually get an agent/publisher give you valuable advice. You've obviously got a style/voice that they like, and one day you will get the big YES and see your work in print. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
  • Thank you for all the kind comments!

I never did pursue the Welsh grant, but I might think about it in the future. 
    I was pleased that the readers liked the historical detail because, as an archaeologist and re-enactor, I took some trouble to get things right (and I've read Diana Wynne Jones' Tough Guide to Fantasy Land, so I know what to avoid!)

I spent most of this morning cutting and pasting the beginnings of a rough draft that I can then go through and tidy up, add new scenes, etc.
    See?  Hopelessly addicted.
  • "Go Evai-ne!  Go Evai-ne!"  [Screams, stamps, dances, waves hands, does strange dances, whizzes tassles in the air - as usual - and goes as mad as a mad thing].
  • TT, you have a thing about tassles, don't you?
  • Huh.  You guessed.  I've been watching too many 60s American cheerleader films lately.  I blame my daughter - and me for keeping half an eye on the things!

Anyway, why not tassles?  They're very cheering..
  • yes, I do like tassles myself, and there are kinkier things to be obsessed with, I'm sure!
  • My sister was a cheerleader (but she had pom-poms).