Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I'm on YouTube!

edited February 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I know that I keep wittering on about this book of mine, but I was really excited when I got an email last night to say that the video of the book launch is online. It was made by the people from the Society of Young Publishers, and they put it on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd14YNz5UIg

It’s nine minutes long and is shot from a publisher’s point of view (so the first five minutes is the managing director of the publishing company talking about what it’s like to put a book out and organise a launch etc. which may be interesting to some of you). The bit with me in it is the next four minutes, where they interview the authors. I did manage to conduct the interview without hacking my guts up, but developed my chest infection the next day.

Just thought I’d share it with you if anyone is interested. It's on Amazon now, btw, at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Days-Various/dp/0955103231/sr=1-6/qid=1170933419/ref=sr_1_6/026-1270383-8135643?ie=UTF8&s=books

Amazon have it ranked at 165,923 in Books - is that good? I have no idea about Amazon ranking so I'm hoping Malcolm or Jay will help me to understand.
  • Well done, Josie! Try this website (if it's still there):

http://www.fonerbooks.com/surfing.htm
  • I've just had a quick look at the rankings for my books on Amazon UK, and The Dandelion Clock is at 106,971. It's number 9 on the gay romance listing.
  • I've just looked at the launch.  Well done, Josie! The launch for my book, The Find, was in our local Asda, not quite so glamorous! 
  • Josie..that's a great start with the Amazon ranking. Pets in Prospect went in around 50,000 in Dec and then shot up to around 3,000 in early Jan coinciding with radio interviews.  The highest it got was 2615 in late Jan ( when I bought 100 copies <g>). The ranking is a comparison with other book sales.  So this time of year with new books coming on the market the sales ranking can drop esp if the new additions sell like hot cakes.  However being on Amazon for some time means you can build up on sales and so raise your ranking: but this is often  offset by more books coming in and causing more competition. Swings and roundabouts.
    You're getting great publicity. YouTube eh?
    Now Malcolm, where's that terrier that appears on the back of my book? Arthur Rex....come here boy...smile into the video camera....
  • I agree Thermobird. Thanks for making it clearer.  I was trying to point out the 'banking effect' of having been on Amazon for awhile.  Pets in Prospects' 'rival' at the moment is 'Dances with Sheep' written by another vet, Steve Weddell.  We yo-yo up and down passing each other and in the last couple of days he's been way up above me. Grrr. But this morning my book's shot up from languishing at 141,000 to 18365, comparible to Steve's present position. My daughter says 'For heaven's sake Dad, stop fretting about Amazon ratings and get on with the sequel.' She's absolutely right of course.....I shouldn't even be on here.... So when Malcolm suddenly disappears from this message board, he'll either have been cast adrift from a cruise liner by irate passengers or be writing 'Pets on Parade' up in the spare room.
  • I'll be your Mrs. Motivator if you like (having been through large writing stint lately, now I think I know it all :O)):-

"Go! Ve-et! ...  Go ve-et!!" ... and if this was America, I would add various "whooohs" and hollers, claps, screams and shaking of tassles...
  • How distracting this place is.  I only popped in this thread to say well done, Josie.  So, well done, Josie :O)
  • Yes, well done. I watched the clip last night.
  • Thanks all, I was on a high when I heard about it. I don't like watching myself on video because I think I look weird. But the quality is low for the web so everyone looks a bit weird anyway! And you can’t see it, but I’m holding a glass of champagne just under the camera shot. mwa
  • Shaking tassles eh Tessa?  Motivation?  You bet.  It would drive me to distraction watching them whirl round and round  ..the tassles I mean... <g>
  • Ok, so my understanding of the Amazon ranking is that if I log in and order 200 copies of my book, I’ll increase my sales rank forever after? As well as being £1300 out of pocket, that is.
  • The book you're referring to, Themoabird: what's the title?  Fantastic result...

MW - behave!!  If I wasn't holding my tassles in my hands, my typing would be FAR better.  In any case, Josie's vid-clip should provide you with more inspiration than any tassle-twirling I can give you.  Perish the thought.
  • Haha! I'd rather be watching your tassles than myself on video too, TT!
  • Enough of this tittle-tassling. Get on with your writing.
  • Huh.  Pot, kettle and black, MW!
  • shucks I thought it would be something like that. Back to plan A then, and actually marketing the damn book.