Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

MS Word Outline numbering

edited January 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Anyone got any good websites for help with this? I'm just becoming increasingly annoyed with the (*|)&$&($w*£& computer when I want to layout my non-fiction table of contents.
    I need it like this - 1. chapter heading
                                    * sub heading
                                       *bit of detail
    then like this -      2. second chapter heading
                                      *as before
    But I can't get the stupid thing to a) put in the correct number or bullet as I enter text and b) line up all the tab stops in the same place for each number or bulllet and c) it won't go back to the next number again but gives more bullets and outline numbers, usually in a completely different style.
    I found a couple of websites offering help but I need to see examples of how to do it to help me understand what I'm doing wrong, not just read the 'how-to'.
    Apart from that, my writing is going really at the moment, with the Prediction article (on Divination) coming out imminently and initial book sales doing well, the proposal is finished too, just need to get the format right!
    Thanks all,
    Moira.
  • I know Dorothy uses Greta Powell who does the computer clinic in WM.
    greta(AT)homechoice.co.uk {have used the letters rather than symbol so the address doesn't get picked up for spam etc.
    Dorothy finds her really helpful.
  • I thought it was just me who had trouble with tabs and the computer.
  • Hi, what prompt replies!
    Don't normally have trouble with tabs as I don't tend to use them - I use my 'format' then 'paragraph' menus to set double-line spacing and 'first line indent' and that works really well, you never need to press tab for normal story writing. But this proposal is driving me bananas - I'm really keen to send it out but the table of contents really needs to look good.
    Oh well.
  • By the way, I'm not changing the tab setting, just using the one provided. But I've found, on a long document, that the tabs sometimes change automatically and I can't change them back. I've ended up asking my publisher/editor if they'd mind sorting them out as it's beyond me.
  • You really need to get rid of the automatic formatting and then you can lay it out using tabs alone like an old-fashioned typewriter.

Go to Tools  Autocorrect

Then untick any fancy auto formatting you don't want.
  • Thanks for that Spiresgate, I've had a little play with tools and managed to adjust a few that were annoying me.
  • Hi,
    I tried taking away autoformatting, setting up my own formatting, hitting the keyboard and swearing loudly. Nothing helped so in the end I opted to type everything in as plain text and later on, I went back and clicked on the little 'numbering' icon for the headings and then 'bullets' icon to put a bullet  point in front of the sub-text.
    I was really frustrated, but have sorted it now. Hope you all come up with a solution for other word related problems.
  • Yeah - I give it to my editor!