Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Creating a character

edited February 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi all. As well as writing, I have a love for art and spend many a free moment sketching, doodling and painting. I've had this love since childhood and over the years I've drawn some characters who have stayed with me for many years. (I draw them so often I feel like they are part of my family!) Now I'm older (and supposedly 'wiser')I'm thinking of using those characters in a book, aimed at children. Does anybody know if there is a market for this? I have to confess that I have absolutely no idea how to research this so any help will be greatly appreciated! (I'll even send out 'cyber' chocolates to those who can help! Ha-ha.)
  • Monkeynuts, you're talking about using your drawings, right? Not just about writing characters based on the drawings? As a first port of call I would suggest your nearest library.  Sit down in the children's section and have a good browse through the illustrated books.

There are some books with brilliant and innovative art work; e.g. Lauren Child's Lola and Charlie stories or any of Neil Gaiman's/Dave McKean's collaborations.

The illustrated book market is supposed to be very hard to break into, by the way. There are lots of top-notch illustrators vying to get into that field, so you've got to be GOOD to stand a chance.  Although, having said that, there are some terrible terrible books out there too.  Spot the Dog, and all the tv-based characters.
  • Monkeynuts: just to say like many other members of Talkback, I share that love of art. Recently, under encouragement from an art teacher, I've completed a large (1m x 1.60m) canvass based on Romeo and Juliet. It includes the faces of the main characters; it was such a challenge to do as I had to study the text to feel what was right. I've got the painting in my bedroom and the characters have become very 'real' to me.  In a way, I've done the same as you, but in reverse. 
  • Thanks so much for the advice so far. I was completely clueless in this area so you have all helped me enormously! I was prepared to learn that it would be a difficult thing to accomplish but I don't want to give up before at least trying.
    Howard, your project sounds great. I wish there was a way you could show us your painting. I'd love to see it!