Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help!

JoJo
edited January 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi -

Haven't been online for a while because I've been concentrating on my artwork and herein lies my problem! I'm an artist who's been struggling to sell work for years. I've managed ok in the past, but art simply doesn't sell. However, I'm now working on greeting card designs, so keeping my fingers crossed. My Book came to a halt some time ago - possibly a year or more - but I keep finding myself wanting to come back to it. Two big problems - the first being my lousy filing system. I can't file on the computer because I'm lousy at it and find I have odd chapters from years ago in funny places, including icons on the screen saver! Don't ask. I also have odd chapters on my laptop from years past. Trouble is, I don't want to get rid of any of it because parts of it actually read rather well, but I know I should! My own method of saving work is to save what I write on the pc then print it out to ensure a hard copy. This is then placed in a folder and filed in a metal cabinet. The work is also saved on a USP stick. The second problem is a start I don't like and a muddly middle. I do have 'The End' which I rather like, so, strictly speaking the plot is out. Now I'm returning slowly to it. The problem is, the book's my baby. I love the subject and the plot excites me. If it never publishes, never mind, (I don't expect that to happen)  but I would love to finish it! Yet another problem is that I also want to return to writing articles, something I did years ago, and even made some money at for a while! HELP!!

Jo Bennett
  • Think the problem is there is too much going on in your brain at once.
    Obviously the greeting card thing is in progress.
    First sort out the fact that different things are in different places. Decide what you want to do with each bit and do it.
    Then jot down any article ideas you have etc.
    Set time aside for each or one particular thing and start.
    Don't talk about doing it, do it.
    Good luck.
  • Carol - thankyou so much. You've voiced what I was thinking.

Jo
  • Thanks folks. I really appreciate the tips and will definitely put them into action!

Jo
  • Jo it seems you and I have similar problems, too much to do and too little time in which to do it in.

I came across the Importance X urgent = priority method a few years back,  and although you can assign numericals values to the things you want to do and do the calculation, deep down you know where the priority lies. 

If getting your greetings card business off the ground means food on the table and the morgage/rent paid, that then has to come first. 

I tend to say...okay I will work on the stock, get my marketing materials done and sort out my accounts, then I'll treat myself and do some writing, painting.

Use the stuff you really want to do, to treat yourself after you have done the necessary stuff...and yes that could mean that the book sits in the in-tray for a while.

And as articles can make you some money, if that is where the priority lies, then that has to come before the book too...
  • Sounds like me too – so much going on and not enough time to sleep! Yes, you have to sort out priorities. The filing system sounds ok, at least you know where it is when you want to go back to it. Don’t feel you have to throw away old writing even if you’re not planning to use it as it’s what you’re building on.
    I’m a writer/artist combination too. Have you thought of graphic novels/cartoons/manga?
  • Good luck Jo!
  • O.K. my situation maybe unusual, widowed, comfortably off and with m heart valve unlikely to last more than another three years. Writing for me is like the lottery, maybe I will hit the jackpot but it is no way to earn a living. I write because iI have an all consuming desire to get my ideas into print. I could not care less if I get paid for it. After a lifetime of well paid work the thought of writing to earn a crust amazes me. I have huge adnirsation for any writer or artist who tries  mke a living from their work.