Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Husband Success

edited February 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• (no, you rude things, we already did that!)

What I mean is, husband has just had his first ever article published (about Permaculture) in a local mag.
    Also he had a photograph and letter published in the national Permaculture magazine.
    AH, I'm so proud!
  • Arrr, very well done! Oh and how lovely a wife you are for posting a message for him! :-)
  • Clever hubby - er... what's permaculture
  • Betsie - I thought it had something to do with permafrost until I looked it up on Google!

Moira - It's a very topical subject, so hopefully there will be many more opportunities for your husband to have articles published.
  • Congratulations to him.
  • Congratulations Mr. Moira.

(I rather like the idea of permaculture being an elitist group of hairdressers, getting together once a week in the secret loft of a dusty library to discuss the history, evolution and future cultural significance of hair perms.)
  • Permaculture - PERMAnent agriCULTURE
    This is the practice and principle of            gardening for sustainbility, in a low-impact way. A garden/allotment etc is divided into zones, 1-5 with zone one being the immediately accessible area (your window ledge and patio for example) and zone 5 being the other end of the field/garden, furthest away. In zone one you have things which need daily attention, zone five would have fruit and nut trees and shrubs which only need infrequent attention. Permaculture is tied loosely into the ideas of organic growing, no-dig gardening, growing foods and plants suited to the climate, the soil, the location etc, and other cool things like composting, recycling, reusing things again and an absolute lack of anything unnatural in the garden (chemicals etc). Pigs might be used to turn over the ground, chickens and frogs to eat the slugs and so on.
    It's more a way of lifestyle and concious choices to improve and naturalise the garden area rather than having manicured lawns and begonias or whatever.
    Look at this website for a better view, I'm a bit foggy on some of the details. The magazine has articles in about things like growing kiwis and peaches in surrey and then on another page about a bit of bleak desert in Africa turned miraculously into a wild-life sanctuary that provides enough food for a box-scheme through use of Permaculture principles. All fascinating stuff with lovely pictures of round houses and timber houses and beautiful gardens and farms.
    http://www.permaculture.org.uk/
  • Thanks Moira - I'll be visiting the website as I find it very interesting
  • Congratulations to your husband!
  • Sorry to be flippant, Moira and Mr. Moira. I actually do know what Permaculture is and I find it very interesting and inspiring. It's definitely a positive step in the right direction as far as this planet goes. Lord knows, we need this kind of sustainability where we live, down under. This is a pretty good site to go to, for those who wish to find out further details...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

(Even though a secret group of hairdressers DOES sound funnier)
  • Good on ya, Mister!
  • Well done Moira's husband!
  • WELL DONE TO MOIRA'S HUSBAND!! Awesome news and well done to you Moira on your review in Predictions. Very well deserved! Oh, and how fantastic to have a husband who writes!!
  • well done to him! yes it is great to have a partner who writes, at least someone who has some understanding of the process.
  • hmm, not sure I would class him, or that he would class himself as a writer, he has not shown any interest in writing ever and only did the article because he was so fired up about the subject but he did do it well and there may be more to follow.
    What review in Prediction MM? Had a few bits of article success in there but if there was a review, I missed it. Someone did a book review for a local mag though.
    thanks for all the nice comments everyone.