Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

COPYRIGHT ON PHOTOGRAPHS

edited February 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi everyone,
    I'm pretty new to this forum and was hoping for some advice about using photographs to accompany articles.
    I have an idea for a couple of articles featuring actors, but would need pictures as well.  There are loads on the Internet and in books, but how can I find out whether I can use them or get the person's permission who took the photograph?
    Any advice would be welcome, Thanks, Skip
  • There are also photographic libraries-picture libraries are listed in the Writers' Handbook, and on the web.
    If there are particulr photos you've seen check who has provided them, it may be on the page by the picture or in a listing.
  • Then there comes the question of payment.

Copyright will not, usually, be relinguished so agreement for use of a copyright photograph will attract a form of royalty payment.
    It is unusual for a magazine to reproduce photographs with which they have no control.
  • Thank you to all of you who replied to my query, your advice is much appreciated.

I think i'm gonna stick to writing articles where I can use my own photo's taken with my trusty digital camera.