Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A Cruise Request

edited January 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi folks.I'd like to share a phone call that I've just had to demonstrate what avenues can open up to any of us when we break into print and how one thing can lead to another. As many of you know, I had a book published last Dec.  Got a quote from someone quite well known which in turn got me some radio interviews. One on Radio Bristol.  Heard by a guy who organises speakers for cruise liners. He got in touch saying I'd be ideal for cruise talks re my life and how I wrote my book.  This evening have just been asked to join a ship sailing from Valparaiso in Chile to Auckland NZ for a 12 day cruise. BIG problem is that they want me to give ten 45min talks and to fly out 7th Feb. Obviously someone must have dropped out to be asked at such a late stage. Doubt if I can do it but it just shows what 'Prospects' (sorry) can open up to all of us if we just keep trying. This time exactly one year ago I had just completed my book and was wondering  how on earth was I going to get published -  if ever.  Moral here. NEVER give up. Just look where it can lead you. Unchartered waters maybe? So keep on writing folks.
  • It's a shame you are unable to do it M.Welshman, it would be such a good opportunity for you to be able to see different parts of the world.
    Anyway,  just out of curiosity, or plain noseiness, whichever way you choose to see it!
    What is your subject?
  • Are you sure there's no possible way to make the cruise, MW? What a shame to miss out on such an exciting 'prospect'. 

Kevster, MW is a vet and his book, 'Pets in Prospect' is a look at life through his eyes - the different comings and goings and day to day mishaps, adventures and surprises that await him at every turn. (Just in case you hadn't read any past threads explaining this)

Jay Mandal also has a few books out. His latest fiction novel is titled, 'All about Sex' and is available through Amazon. (Thought I'd mention it before you did, Jay)

Cheers all, keep up the writing.  :D
  • Thanks for that little plug Island Girl, she the expert in breeding worms. aka her profile. If ever anyone's in Oz, do 'cast' an eye out for her.  She may be a little grubby but I'm sure she'll soon worm her way into your affections  (or should that be afflictions?)and unearth plenty in common.
  • Ah yes, I'll try to hook you with some of my one liners for sure. Then, if you take the bait, I'll leave you reeling. 

(Oh good grief, I'm really reeling at my feeble attempts to keep up with you MW. As Marie Antoinette might have once said, "I should've quit while I was still ahead.")   
  • Ahoy there Island Girl. Just don't rock the boat otherwise you'll be all at sea and way out of your depth. Then your puns will sink without trace and you'll never feel buoyed up.
  • I'd just like to add my two pennorth.  What an opportunity, MWelshman.  Such a shame to miss out, even if it is short notice.  Can you not cobble together a few stories, some you're perhaps done in the past and put to one side.  Did you not say on one of your radio interviews that you've started on the sequel.  Go for it!
  • Is it the fact that you must produce ten 45 minute talks in such a short amount of time, MW? Just a thought, did this bloke at any time say that the ten 45 minute talks had to be different? Is it too late to come up with one 45 minute talk and use it a further 9 times? Surely the timetable would be for a different audience each session? Or is it that you have other commitments and can't reorganise those at such short notice? As I said before, (and your other Talkback friends obviously agree) what a shame you feel you can't go.
  • Hi there Island Girl.  The brief was to give ten different talks each lasting c 45 mins. OK I've many aneccdotes re treating pets and owners and I was told I could talk about writing and how I eventually got my book published. Even so as a first timer to this sort of thing, I would have been all at sea trying to put in that many hours of 'entertainment'.  Must admit I 'm a bit down about it all at the moment - in one of those troughs where I feel my book isn't going to make it - despite having just done my 16th radio interview and had good Amazon reviews (new one yesterday) and great press features. It's that pivotal point where if I haven't managed to grab Joe Public's interest by now, the book will spiral down into the murky depths of the great unread to join the oceans of others. Oh dear, I have got the blues haven't I.
  • Dear Moaning Minnie, I mean MWelshman.  Do you actually know what your sales figures are, or are you assuming the book hasn't done very well as you're not already top of the bestseller lists?  Sounds to me like you've done pretty well for a first time author.  You need to get some sun to cheer yourself up - try a cruise.  I hear New Zealand's nice this time of year.  Someone else say something positive or we'll end up scraping MWelshman off the floor.
  • Do go on the cruise if you possibly can MW, it sounds wonderful and a fantastic opportunity to experience something wonderful for free! Such chances don't come along very often, and I think we all owe it to ourselves to bathe in the golden rays of good fortune when they deign to point our way!!

As for the talks, well, unless it's a floating convention of vets (in which caes, you can talk tekkie) people will be delighted to hear whatever you say. Read a bit from your book each day and answer some questions. Why not ask other passengers to share their pet tales too? 45 mins a day for an all expenses paid trip of a lifetime - GO! Please!
  • This chance may never come again- GO!
  • Thanks Brownfox and Katy for your comments. Sorry to sound like a wet blanket. l'll try and think more positive .  Get the old sun-lamp out and boost the serotonin levels. Doesn't compare with a cruise in the South Pacific I know.  Not sure I want to phone Hale and see what the sales figures are. Coward. I know the original print run was only going to be 750.  What's a successful sales' figure in two months for an expensive hardback? 250?  300?  I've nothing to compare figures with.
  • I plucked up courage to ask Robert Hale about sales of 'Pets in Prospect'.  Seems 479 copies have been sold in two months out of 750 printed. I'm told  - quote - 'that's a very good figure'. Perhaps it is considering it costs £17.99 retail price though only c £12.00 on Amazon.  Thanks to WN members who have bought copies. Every sale is really important to me.