Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Probably too far-fetched

edited January 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I've been itching to write a monologue for a long time and perform it myself. I know exactly how I would go about it but it's a very scary project to undertake, plus I'm quite young and most people don't take me seriously.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Is it done a lot?
  • Worth trying. They say you regret only those things you don't do. I remember hearing Albert and the Lion years ago. Anyone see those pictures of the man cuddling the lion, by the way? Sorry - I don't mean to hijack your thread.
  • Jay,I thought it was a woman!
    Katzkrew,do you have an audience in mind that you could try it out on?
  • I was thinking my college in a lunch space.
  • You say you are young but as your profile is blank I don't know how young. Do remember Pam Ayres? Joyce Grenfell? monologues, Brilliant!!!!! Of course I remember Sam, pick up thy musket A dark girl dressed in blue ad even the great Rob Wilton ---The day war broke out and many others but then I am so old Pontious was learnng to e a pilot when I was in the RAF
  • Have a go, Katzkrew. You won't know unless you try and you'll probably be delighted with the response!
  • Then gather a few people together and try it out. Good luck.
  • Very funny, Crazy Horse.  :)

Good on you, Katzkrew. Why not test it out on someone first? Perhaps an English lecturer or someone who might give you some constructive criticism rather than close friends who will not.
    No-one is ever too young to do these things but many people lack the confidence to get up there and give it a try. You sound confident enough to me. Good luck with it - let us know how you got on.
  • Have a go Katzkrew, what's the worst that can happen?
  • Well, I thought it was a woman at first, then I wasn't sure so I asked someone before posting, and he said it was a man!
  • Yeah alright I'll try it. Thanks everyone. If I fail miserably it'll be a learning curve - that's what i'm telling myself :)
  • Tell us when and we will all me along and cheer ourselves hoarse
  • I think monologues are great. I was at a birthday party last week for a 60 year old and a lady read out a monologue she had written, it was very funny and very appropriate. Perhaps you could try doing one for a special occasion for someone you know?
  • Dont go into it thinking you are going to fail. if you plan to fail then you probably will. Do it and learn. Lift your head up and look the world in the eye as the song goes.
  • It might be just the thing to get people to sit up and take you seriously, Katzkrew.
  • I love writing monologues. It's an ideal opportunity to show how people often have totally the wrong idea about their own personalities and how they give themselves away by what they say.
  • What do you mean, Jenny?
  • Mono = one, alone, single.

Remember this when composing your work.

Remember this when pronunciating the completed piece.

Forget the fact at all other times. Do enjoy the experience. Be assured that belief and passion will always have an audience. Be prepared for criticism whilst knowing there will always be support from your friends.

Good luck.
  • Island Girl, it's probably to do with image and reality. Just because someone is 70 years old, inside they could still feel like a twenty or thirty year old and have young ideas, or do outrageous things.
  • Hi Carol, we must have met! I am 72 going on 16, I'll get round to growing up when I have the time
  • Yes CH, I was thinking of you when I wrote that comment.
  • Right. Just to update and keep myself thinking of deadlines (I'm very bad at them!). I've finished my monologue and on monday I'm going to start trying to find a place to perform it. Ahh! I'm despretly trying not to think about how wrong it could go... Oh well, if I don't try I'll never know if I could do it.
  • Definitely give it a go. Monologues are great, if they are written skilfully and delivered well. I think just getting out there and doing it is great. You will learn from it and you might just find that people take you more seriously than you thought possible. Give it a go and let us know how it went.