Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My night on Broadway!

edited January 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Once again, that's Broadway Barking, not Broadway NYC, but hey! it's still Broadway of some description!!!

Anyway, last night was the Spread The Word-Write Next Door Showcase. I was one of seventeen people reading work from across six London Boroughs.

The whole evening was absolutely amazing. I arrived at ten to five, then we did a read through in three groups (one for each "act"). After that we were given microphone tips, and asked to just do a line into the mic to get used to it. Then it was a case of waiting for the show to start.

I was the last person to read in the first "act", so was sitting to one side with the rest of my "act" when Paul Lyall kicked proceedings off with a few jokes and some poetry. Then, I sat through five other readings, nervously sipping my water until it was my turn.

I went up, did my thing and came down again. I was on for all of five minutes, but it was an intense five minutes that I thoroughly enjoyed. After that I could sit back and relax.

I got a good response for my piece (a journal style piece on the 7 July bombings and the aftermath) with the acting director of Spread the Word saying that it gave her shivers!!! The quality of the work was excellent overall, and it was great to just kick back, relax and mingle with guests and other writers.

Full credit to the staff at Spread the Word for organising such a fantastic night, and now I'm really pshyced to get back to my desk tonight and push on with my writing. And I can't wait to get going with the Writing Group (which is the next stage of the whole project). Plus there's the anthology still to come as well!!!

Exciting times!
  • Glad it went well Gary, may there be many more such high spots.
  • Well done and good on you to thrive on the adrenaline rush.
  • Sounded great, Gary.  Isn't it wonderful when the oddest things inspire us?  And Barking may be odd and literally 'barking' but I'm from that area so really must support.  A friend of mine is doing arty-jazzy neon stuff for their bus-stops!
  • Good stuff!