Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Have you seen?

edited January 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I'm producing a short shopping guide for Valentines gifts (for the family web magazine I write for).
    I've made a start collecting details, but wondered if anyone had seen anything in their high street shops that might be worth including.I can go and have a look personally then.
    I've already trawled Woolworths,and Thorntons, a brief look at M&S online, and Lakeland for foody/cookery based stuff.
    It's aimed at persuading readers there is more variety than just a bog standard box of chocs, and a bunch of red roses.
    I'm fitting places in for info gathering as I see their gift ideas appear.
  • That's a great suggestion, I'll go and have a look at them myself , and will probably select some items. I always supply contact addresses at the bottom of my articles, so if anyone is interested they'll be able to go there and look for themselves.
  • I like the idea of a romance novel given as a gift. It lasts longer than roses or chocolates and I'm a book freak anyway.
  • When we had just started doing our self-build, my partner Daniel bought me a paid of rigger boots for Valentine's Day. They may not be every woman's vision of a perfect gift from their 'significant other', but they kept my feet and legs safe from injury over 2 years of heavy duty construction work and are very comfortable. I still wear them now. Being called a builder bird if you wear them when you go out is the only other noticable side effect ;-).

So Carol, I'd suggest adding to your list things that might go under the heading of "...not romantic but useful gifts..."

(If you're not familiar with them, riggers are those steel toe capped boots made of tan leather and mid-calf length - worn by building types the world over).
  • Carol, check out No.18 (the delicatessen on Gordon Road, just down from pizzahut & argos) they do a gorgeous looking Chocolate Pizza. Made entirely of choccy and covered in grated white chocolate, decorated with marshmallows etc, they would be a wonderful gift for silly day!
  • What about Oxfam?.  I quite like the idea of recieving a present that will help someone live rather than stuff myself with a box of chocolates I don't really need anyway.
  • Now that's an idea Katy, something different.
    Moira that chocolate pizza sounds bizarre, but probably a chocoholics delight, I'll have to look on Thursday when I go shopping that way.
    Stirling, Oxfam use Traidcraft for their Fair Trade gifts, and I spent an hour looking at various Fair Trade sources that are not only available in town centres throughout the country, but also do mail order, and online.
    If you are interested look at the website for the British Association of Fair Trade Shops. There's clothing as well as gifts and chocolates, and teas and coffee that can be located from their link pages.
    There generally doesn't seem to be as much choice of Valentine gifts for males-perhaps it's considred standard gifts for men are acceptable.
  • Our local Oxfam book shop was still selling them, although they didn't have a lot left.
    But poetry books is a possibility, as there was that one about Britain's favourite love poems.
  • Will have a look at that site thanks.
  • What about a gift voucher for a massage, or a visit to a day spa, where they can get the whole kit and caboodle?
  • Thanks Kangeroo.
    I wanted to give ideas for both sexes, and so much is aimed at buying for women, and those you can give to men are the typical boxer shorts/socks/cufflinks.
    It seems to me that the view of gifts for men are the standard chocolates, or general male gifts, or even making a special meal for the man in your life. Not very different.
    So men of Talkback, what do you consider a suitable Valentines present?