Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

what do you do if...

edited January 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• ...you've written a story for a competition, then read on the forum that someone else has a similar idea? cos the if you submit the story it looks like you've nicked their idea (even if the story was ready to be posted before the other person wrote on the forum) but if you don't submit it, you'll never know if that story was THE ONE.
    i feel like having a good cry now...
  • Submit! Your style and treatment will be different from other people's. Good luck.
  • Don't worry! How often do you come across a novels which have the same topic/plot (well...sort of) It's all about the writing isn't it?! You always have to be so arrogant and convinced of your own writing that YOUR piece of writing will always be the better one!
    And...don't cry!
  • post it anyway. ideas are not copyright and so long as you know in your own mind that you didn't copy then you keep your integrity. I wrote an amazing book about a teenage witch that could turn herself invisible, just before Harry Potter got famous. Shucks.
  • sorry...spotted my own mistake... of course 'a novels' doesn't exist. But hey, I'm a foreigner..can you blame me..;o)
  • Don't they say there's only so many plots, and the difference is how you treat it.
  • thanks kids. just makes me think, well if i win (and why wouldn't i?) then people might think that i stole someone elses idea. and even though I know i haven't, people might still be funny about it...
  • Fleur, I was wondering where you'd got to. Actually, I've just thought of something ... Could you have a look at this website for me?
    www.vankoppenproducties.nl
    I asked if anyone was interested in turning any of my short stories/novels into plays, and got a reply from the Netherlands. I can't understand a word of the website. I've already e-mailed them asking what sort of thing they're looking for, who would produce it, who would go to see it, and whether it's going to cost me anything. Just a general idea would be useful. Thanks.
  • Will get to it first thing in the morning. Am currently at home because of a bad eye infection. So I'm writing quite a lot these past few days...most of the time with one eye closed, which is proving to be very irritating!
    Shall I email it to you personally? Or do you want me to post it here in this thread??
  • If it's short and fairly general, you could post it here. If it's longish and more specific, you can e-mail me at
    jay_mandal[put the at sign here]bewrite.net
    But don't spend ages on it. Thanks.
  • Fleur ca i contact you directly , I need some help in contacting someone from Hetern near Arnhem, but the language is a problem. Any help you can give would be apreciated.
  • Hope the eye gets better soon.
  • MrD, be glad to help if I can...
  • Fleur email [email protected] with your contact details . Thanks for your offer of help