Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The cupboard is bare

edited January 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Blast, I just went to get out a tin of tomato soup to heat up while I finished on Talkback, as I'm not all that hungry (anything to do with the Snickers I had at 6.30pm while I was writing, I wonder?) and don't fancy the baked potato I had planned...and I haven't got any.  This is unheard of!  I always have soup and sweetcorn in the cupboard.  The soup fairy must have been in the night.

I just stood there looking at the shelves, willing a tin of kidney beans to turn into a tin of soup and wondering if you can eat beans without toast.  Plan B?  I don't have a Plan B...  I'm down to, yes - Cup a Soup, anyone?
  • I did that the other day, went to get a tin of Tomato soup, but there wasn't any. Silly me hadn't put it on the shopping list the day before- had to make do with toast and marmalade.
    Cup a Soup- yuk!
  • If it's any comfort, we've got cup-a-soup, too, and the world's supply of sage and onion stuffing.  Yummmmm....
  • Hippo, without trying to sound like the fusion of an old hippy with a stereotype from the WI, have a bash at making the soup yourself from any veg that you have lying around. It is very quick, very easy, and - served with grated cheese on top, thick slices of uncut bread and real butter - VERY delicious! When we were doing our self-build and living in a mobile home with just a 2 ring camping stove to cook on, we practically lived on it. Well, that and the beer...
  • Katy, that sounds like a fabulous idea, but I'm the world's most idle 'cook' (I use the term loosely).  To sum up my philosophy, I don't like to spend longer making a meal than it will take me to eat it...  'Vegetables lying around', mmm, there's a concept I can't quite grasp - I tend to buy little and often to avoid waste, as there's only little old me to cater for...so there's not usually much of anything spare lying around (except wine and chocolate) hence the bare cupboard!

PS If you'd like to send regular shipments of soup, I wouldn't object!
  • Hmmm, you could be onto a winner there... Kate's Soup Kitchen perhaps??!
  • Me too Dorothy. If it's a toss up between chocolate and anything else- chocolate usually wins.
  • Mmm, I love home-made soup.
    My favourites are a lovely leek & potato soup with peas and sweetcorn I made a few days ago and my ultimate thick & chunky carrot, potato & parsnip soup. Also love mushroom and tomato soup but hubby not keen so don't have them often.
  • Dorothy/Carol - it all depends just how much chocolate and wine you keep in stock...!
  • Well there's usually one or two bottles in the cupboard that have been given as gifts or raffle prizes, but I'll usually buy a favourite bottle of red or rose sparkling wine, once a month.
    Chocolate can be anything, small individual bars for my handbag, bars of my favourite brand or something that takes my interest when I'm out.
    Not a huge stack normally.