Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Sunday Times and names

edited January 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• There's an article in the Sunday Times today that basically looks at the status of names, taken from various sources.
    It does mention Mary, but doesn't include first names of those under 18, so Mary was a popular name at one time.
    The only thing that was right about Carol's is we're more likely to buy our clothes by mail order- I do buy some that way.
    Unfortunately the rest doesn't fit me.
    But might be fun to see if your first name is one that has a lot of high earners.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,32809,00.html
  • It says that my name spends the least on cars, which is very true as I don't have one. It also says I like reading and of course I do.
  • hmmm... spooky... it says that i'm most likely to live in lancashire (liverpool being a quick run down the motorway from lancashire) i'm twice as likely to be a student, and i'm more likely to shop on the internet (i did all my crimbo shopping this year on 'tinternet!) weird!
  • They have me completely wrong, I don't live in Central Scotland, nor do I earn £25,000pa (unless someone likes my book this year - or I get to paint the queens corgis).  Connotations with ambition, success and intellegence.  Ok I know I'm not stupid but have never been that abitious. 
  • Thanks for the link, Carol. Made me laugh out loud. (Got some very odd looks from my colleagues!) How they come up with these types of statistics is beyond me! :-)
  • How Accurate! Scary! It gave the exact age I should be - which I am. But I should be living in Yorkshire and have a conservatory in my house. Then I did the other test on the page that's supposed to determine what I SHOULD've been named. I'm supposed to be called Susan and live in Yorkshire with a conservatory in my house. ??? The "shopping' question threw me, though so I had to make it up. I didn't know where I preferred to shop: Sainsbury's, Adsa etc. Being from Australia, I knew nothing about any of the choices they mentioned.
  • I haven't tried the what I should have been called yet. Must go back and do that one.
  • Apparently I should be called Robyn (yes the picture was a bloke), live in Northern Ireland and co-habit. What went wrong!!!
  • What's so important about conservatories?
  • I think it's a social status thing. The cost of proper conservatories must say something about the owner, I suppose.