Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

New Year's Resolutions

edited January 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• My latest article is up in the Lifestyle section of the online magazine I write for. I am now the Resident Lifestyle correspondent for the site.
    Take a look and if you have any comments, tell me.
    http://www.lifestyle.nottinghamshiretimes.co.uk/Reolutions.html
  • Well done, Carol.
  • Thanks Dorothy, a compliment from you is a great honour.
  • Well done Carol!
  • Great article, Carol. Here's a New Year Resolution Story:

Death by Misadventure.

(1095 Words)

It had been a long standing joke in Enid Wallbank’s family for years: mother, they used to say, could never keep a New Year’s resolution. Enid had always made one or two but they usually came to grief in the first or second week of February - she was going to lose weight, she said; put extra money away each month; get out and about more…even take a trip somewhere. But it was all to no avail.

In no time at all she became a confirmed shopaholic again, still watched far too much television, and the tiny salads she’d endured since early January were already a thing of the past. And as for all those chocolates she’d been given at Christmas – well… they had to be eaten didn’t they?

“I don’t know why you bother, mother,” her daughter used to say.

This year, however, it was going to be different. Enid made just one resolution: she would take a trip abroad. Oh yes, definitely. She would visit her daughter who now lived in Paris. How else could she hold the new grandchildren she’d only seen so far on photographs? Yes, that’s what she’d do, Enid told herself. She’d  take a trip to Paris. The holiday, whatsmore, would be free.

To Enid’s amazement she had won the trip to Paris in a women’s magazine. A number of celebrities had had to be matched against the kind of shoes they might wear: and for once in her life Enid Wallbank had got something right.

She decided to go in the spring – ‘Paris In Spring Is A Must’, said a headline in one of the women’s magazines she read - and wrote to her daughter asking her to meet her at the airport.

The thought of seeing her daughter and French son-in-law again, to say nothing of the twins, and in Paris, for heaven’s sake – the most glamorous place she could possibly imagine – filled Enid with intense excitement.

There was just one snag: the prospect of flying induced such anxiety in Enid that she almost cancelled the trip long before she was due to go.

It was only the encouragement given to her by some friends that persuaded Enid finally to go at all. After all, didn’t they fly abroad every summer, and weren’t they still in one piece? While some other friends told Enid there was far more chance of being killed on the road than in the air. And anyway, they said, flying to Paris you were in the air for such a short time. “You’ve got to go Enid, It’s the chance of a lifetime.” This was true of course; how often she had dreamt of going abroad like all the young ones seemed to do all the time these days.

So bravely suppressing her fears, she went ahead with her plans and bought some new clothes for the trip.

Sitting in the departure lounge at Heathrow, Enid found herself in front of a large poster which illustrated the aircraft in which she would shortly make the journey to Paris. She recognised it at once, for since the flight had been booked, she had spent hours in the public library reading up details about the aircraft, and the sort of routine she could expect once aboard. She knew exactly the number of seats it had, where the toilets were, and what to expect from the cabin staff. She knew the number of engines the plane had, its airspeed and the amount of fuel it could carry. But most importantly, she told herself, she knew by heart what to do in case of an emergency.

It was warm where she sat in the small tea bar, and the sounds around her were softly muted by the thickly piled carpet. She nervously sipped a cup of tea. Staring hypnotically at the picture of the aeroplane, it wasn’t long before Enid began to imagine it actually in flight. The great, silver bird, beautifully photographed against an azure sky, shot forward in her imagination, to pierce the fluffy clouds surrounding it. God, she said to herself, let’s hope the pilot knows what he’s doing. Before long, her head began to nod, her breathing deepened and, with half closed eyes, she began to lose sight of the picture altogether. The unpleasant thoughts that had begun to creep into her head again began gradually…very gradually… to evaporate…

When a muffled bell-like signal announced her flight, Enid knew exactly what to expect. She found herself, surprisingly, already with the other passengers at the appropriate gate. Preceded by a girl with a fixed, welcoming smile and wearing a smart green outfit, they all walked - floated almost - along what seemed to Enid like a never ending tunnel. At the door of the plane they were met by another smiling, green clad figure who floated ahead of them and showed them to their seats. Enid was just behind one of the wings. She could see – and count – the engines. It presumably had the same number on the other side. She looked around at her fellow passengers all of whom seemed already to be asleep: the silence was uncanny. There was a garbled announcement by the pilot over the plane’s intercom and with scarcely a sound they were off. The plane, with Enid Wallbank slumped happily in her seat, soared with eerily muted engines up through the heavens…

Flight 101 crashed with the loss of all lives just before it arrived in Paris. Wreckage and bodies were scattered for miles.

Enid Wallbank’s daughter, waiting in Paris, was inconsolable. The only flight her mother had ever made, she said, and it had to end like this.

It was one of the girls on the tea bar at Heathrow who first noticed Enid Wallbank slumped in an easy chair long after her plane had left. I’d better wake her, she thought, the poor dear might miss her flight. It was only when she tried to, however, that the full impact of Enid’s tragedy became apparent. Enid Wallbank was dead.

Listening to what her friends and family had to say concerning Enid’s anxiety before she set out on the trip, the coroner came to the conclusion that the massive heart attack Enid had suffered, was possibly brought on by an unfortunate fear of flying.

It was left in the end to Enid’s daughter to put in words what everyone in Enid’s family had already begun to think  – Poor Mother, she wrote ruefully to a family member, she never could keep a New Year’s resolution.
  • Groan!!!
  • The story was great up until the end Neil, but that last line about her never being able to keep her new year's resolutions made it sound like a corny punch line. I loved the rest of it, it was great.
  • Well done for feeling brave enough to show us your story, Neil!
    :-)
  • Thanks Monkeynuts!!!
  • You're more than welcome. I'm all for constructive criticism but I can't help but feel that true, honest praise can often be forgotten or missed. Let's face it, it's the easiest thing in the world to be negative and focus on the bad points.
  • So true.
    :-)
  • I really like it, Neil. I knew Enid had fallen asleep and missed her flight but her demise in the tea lounge was totally unexpected. And I liked the humorous touch in the daughter's eulogy.
  • Neil I'm sorry if my explanation came out sounding bad. It wasn't meant to. My reaction may have been different if that last bit had been written differently. It was a lovely story, and as said it was brave to put it here.
    It's just that it came out like those serious stories with a jokey punchline at the end, that you groan because of the obvious line when you read it.
    That isn't the response you want, but if you gave that to a random group of people, I would think you would have a few who would react the way I did. One of them could be an editor.
  • Well, sorry Carol, I beg to differ. I think there is subtle humour dotted throughout the story and I think the ending is apt. Who goes to the public library to research the location of toilets? The fact that she's given salads the flick in favour of chocolates is worded comically in a very subtle way and it sets the story up early on so that we know she can't keep her resolutions. Also, when people are facing traumatic situations, they sometimes resort to humour in order to deal with it. At first I thought it was a eulogy at Enid's service before I re-read it to find the daughter had 'ruefully' written it in a letter.  I don't know, Carol - I could be wrong. You know more about these things than I do but that's my opinion anyway, for what it's worth.
  • Well done Neil. I enjoyed your story and found Enid a convincing character, especially since I too am terrified of flying.
  • Thanks for that insight Island Girl, it helps for everyone to give an opinion to how they see things.
    To me Enid is obviously over-anxious, perhaps even a bit obsessive about things. The story was beautifully written, very effective.But possibly because I didn't neccesarily pick up the wry humour, that was why the ending ruined it for me.
    Surely as writers we need to be aware of that possibility?
    And I hope Neil understands that I was not being intentionally insensitive. If he did feel that then I sincerely apologise, as that was not my intention.
  • Carol, I think it's great that you explained yourself and your feelings towards Neil's story. I just think the initial reaction was quite shocking and it appeared to be unfair, but you clearly are a decent soul and I feel perhaps your initial response was merely one of haste. I have found that as soon as you respond in that kind of way, people just instantly become defensive and can lose sight of the constructive points you actually have. Let's face it, writing really is really an extremely personal and deep business! :-)
  • Thanks for that understanding Monkeynuts.
    I read it again later, and still had the same reaction. (Obviously with everyone else's views I can see what they are saying now.)
    I think we all get unexpected reactions to our work at some time. The reader has totally missed something which we thought was clear. It's happened to me too.
    But we have to accept that those comments are based on their reaction to that work, good or bad. We might get upset, understandably, but that is part of being a writer.
    I will shut up now before I make this much worse.
  • Don't worry, I don't think you're making it worse! I just think it's good to explain criticism when it comes to writing. I personally think that you need to have an element of respect for the 'critic'; so if there's no reasoning behind a negative comment, I personally think it's best to acknowledge it and then swiftly move on.
  • Carol, I hope you didn't think I was picking at you, either! As you read it and came up with your interpretation, I read it and obviously saw something different in it. I actually enjoyed reading your point of view and the reasoning behind your comments. As you say, not everyone sees the same thing in a piece of writing and I hope one day you (and other Talkbackers) will give me an honest opinion about something I might write - I would welcome the input. There's no point in showing friends because they tell you everything is wonderful when what you really need is an evaluation and constructive criticism. If that had been my story, I wouldn't have been offended by your remarks and I hope Neil wasn't. (I note, with some concern though, that he has been conspicuous by his absence. Neil, where are you?) 
  • No Island Girl, I appreciated your comments, as it allowed me to see the piece from another viewpoint.
    We all have to learn to take criticism, and even I have doubts on things I write.
    And I'm worried that Neil may have taken my opinion badly, which was why I went to such efforts to explain why I reacted in the way I did.