Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Proofreader in the making

edited January 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Having been shopping and bought the latest issue of Spectacular Spiderman for one of my sons, I was looking forward to some peace.
    Alas, down comes son to point out to me two errors on one page, and this is not the first time he's done it. He picks up errors in the books he reads as well-errors do appear sometimes, surprisingly enough.
    Nor does an error in grammar escape his eagle-eyed attention.
    Makes you realise that there will always be someone who picks up those little mistakes.
    Be warned.
  • Good for him, Carol!  How old is he?
  • Dane is 11, and very bright. He loves reading and writing, and wants to be an author when he grows up!
    I think I will hand him my work to proofread in future.
  • Carol - Last month's Writers News had a supplement for children who enjoy writing, including details of competitions. I can't remember exactly what was included as I gave my copy to someone in my writing group for her daughter.
  • Yes, I gave that to Dane. He's also got Gordon Wells' book for young writers. I got it at Swanick in 05, and Gordon signed it for him.
    We received a letter recently from Young Writer magazine, they have got funding and hope to have the magazine out this quarter.