Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My first acceptance

edited December 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hello everyone,

I got a letter in the post today from BBC Radio Merseyside in relation to a Christmas story I sent to them last month. They are going to use it as part of their 'Winter's Tales' story programme to be broadcast on Christmas day.

Aside from reader’s letters, this is the first time one of my short stories has been accepted. I am really pleased, and can't wait to hear it broadcast. I have my writing tutor at college to thank, as it was her who set the class a challenge of writing a story for the programme. Without that I wouldn't have written the story.

To have my first acceptance is a great feeling.
  • Congratulations Schumi.
    Don't forget to record it for posterity. If you ever start feeling low you can play it to remind yourself that your work was good enough to be broadcast.
    It is a great achievement, well done.
  • Think of all those people who'll enjoy hearing your story! Jolly well done!!
  • Congratulations on your first acceptance. Lets hope there are many more to follow. Well done you.
  • I reckon that's a really prestigious 'first' - many congratulations
  • Well done, Schumi. If the turkey, the odd drink and assorted family allow, I'll try and listen to RM on 'The Day'
    Neil F. (Liverpool)
  • Congratulations!
  • That's fantastic news! Well done.
  • Well done Schumi! I'll try and listen in!
  • Schumi, do you know what time your story will be on?
  • Great news! Well done!
  • Thank you all for your kind words. The show runs from 5.05pm until 6pm. As well as short stories there will be a selection of poems read out. They didn't give an indication as to when my story would feature. The story is called 'A season for believing'. It goes right to the 1000 word limit, so they may decide to start with it or put it somewhere in the middle.
  • Congratulations, Schumi.  I'll try to listen in too.  Please give my regards to Frankie Connor at Radio Merseyside. We worked together on Emmerdale many moons ago and he helped me with some family history research.  Tell him Maggie says Hi!
  • Hurrah Schumi!  The Beeb can be difficult depending on which producer you're sending to.  I'm well chuffed for you (bah! rejected by Duncan Minshull at Radio 4 years back... clearly carrying a resentment!)

Well done, you!  TTxx
  • Just thought I'd say that the story was read out half way through the program. The voice used for it was ideal as well. It's a strange feeling to hear your name being read out on air.

There were a few other people from my writing class who had stories read out as well. I've got it all on tape, so it makes for a nice memento.
  • Hiya , if you have a blog can you set the story up for others to read. i know this may cause problems if you wish to publish your writing , I think it was Jay who told me that some editors would  not accept writing that had been published on a blog.
  • Hiya , if you have a blog can you set the story up for others to read. i know this may cause problems if you wish to publish your writing , I think it was Jay who told me that some editors would  not accept writing that had been published on a blog.
  • Glad it was good Schumi. A good mark on your CV.
  • Well done!
  • Well done and congratulations. What a thrill. Keep up the good work.
  • Schumi, that's so fantastic.  WELL DONE! Enjoy it.
  • Thanks you all for your kind comments. If you'd like to read the story, I've posted it in the writing exercises part to the forum.

Thanks again.