Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Converting ideas into a piece of writing

edited December 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• A few months ago, I wrote the first few lines of a story, but decided not to take it any further at that stage. It was originally going to be for my writing class, but I chose to write a poem instead, which was based on horror.

Looking through one of my folders the other day, I found the bit of paper that has the lines to the story on it. Reading it back, I started to generate a few ideas for it in my head, and since then have wrote some notes down that will be of use.

The trouble is, I'm not sure how this story should be written. I can envisage two ways, the first being a long short story that uses 2 viewpoints (one that comes in only on occasions, giving a wider view of what's happening), the other being a radio play. I like the idea of both, and I suppose the logical answer is to try writing it both ways and see what works best. The thing is I have got myself muddled up with certain bits of writing I've done. I write it one way, then decide it's not working, change it to another way, and find that lacking something as well. My novel has suffered from this a lot.

When you have the outlines of a story in your head, and several different ways in which it could be written, what helps you decide on how to go forward?

I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Steven.
  • Consider the requirements for a radio play. It is all auditory, so the visuals have to be conveyed in words, and not too many words.
    But I would support Dorothy's opinion.