Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Sleep...am I allowed...?

Comments

• I am absolutly exhausted yet I still feel the need to keep writing away. I fell asleep this afternoon when revising Pride and Prejudice. I have this belief that I can't go to bed before midnight, every night, even if I need to get up at 5 for work the next morning. Does anyone else have this problem? They believe they don't need as much sleep as everyone else? Tonight, however, I am FORCING myself to shut shop and get some early shut eye. I'm aiming for 10 pm, the earliest in years. Here goes...wish me luck.
  • A scented bath might help you relax and get to sleep!
  • Lavender and lots of soft pillows to cuddle into. Happy sleeping.
  • We'd better whisper in case MM has gone to bed even earlier than she intended!
  • I've heard that teenagers have trouble going to sleep early and waking up early. Friends say young children are the opposite - wide awake at half past five in the morning.
  • Eh? Wot? Hey? Oh, I fell asleep while reading this thread. I'd better get to the coffee pot quick. I can keep going for a while with late nights and getting up early but then I have too have a few lay-ins. Though just lately I've been feeling tired a lot of the time.
  • Stan - your tiredness is probably due to all the stress you've been under lately.
  • Don't change it, MM - it's a winner!
  • Amboline, that is exactly what I was like with the Da Vinci Code, except without the quill...I read the first sentence and was like 'what THE HELL IS THIS?!'
    'He awoke slowly.'
  • MM, I can't seem to get to bed earlier than midnight either.  Luckily I don't often have to get up early.  On Friday and Saturday nights, I'm liable to be up till all hours and then get up late the next day, but I know I don't get enough sleep generally.  Even when I was feeling really grotty with a cold a couple of weeks ago, I didn't get to bed much before 11pm!  I'd better not ever become a postie - my body clock would go berserk (my brother-in-law is a postie and is in bed by 9pm).
  • Roll on Thursday, then I can lie down for a brief nap without worrying I'm going to be late for the bus to get to school.
    Last day tomorrow, then the darlings are home for two weeks!!
  • Eight hours seems to be the recommended average but everyone is different.  I know some people who thrive on six whereas others would not function without ten.  Just listen to your body.
  • I can cope for a few days on six, but then I have to catch up on the lost time. Normal is 7-8 hours, and a couple of extra hours on a Sunday morning.