Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Rewrites

edited December 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Anyone else find these a nightmare? I've got a thirty chapter novel completed, and for the past three weeks I've been doing nothing bar rewriting and correcting the first three chapters, readying for submission. I won't consider it ready, until I re-read twice without changing a single comma. I'm worried now I will have to go through the same process for the rest, but I'm 'hopeful' these first three are just the embryonic stages of my writing; hence the reson they need so much work.

Arrggg!
  • Hi Balloo, haven't heard from you in a while, good luck with the rewrite!
  • Remember Balloo, even though you've perfected those three chapters for submission, it has to be done with the rest as well- eventually.
  • I hate editing, too, although with me it's usually a case of deciding which of two or more versions/words - that I wrote when doing the draft - I prefer.
  • Extensive rewrite - oh yea!

My husband has just left the house with an A4 envelope to post.  It contains the usual letter+synopsis+rewritten first chapter of a book I began in 2002/3?  I self-published it with a small firm which has since closed, so I cannot get any more copies of that first version.

That is a good thing in retrospect because I am now going through the whole 80,000 words, ditching 10,000 but catching up with an original side-plot blossoming into a parallel plot.

It is difficult juggling four main characters, but much more fun than agonising over agents and publishers who clearly don't give a damn about the content of a book any more.
  • Good luck Balloo, you'll get there in the end!
  • Thanks for all the helpful comments, I really appreciate them. I'm about to embark on today’s rewrite, so I'll see what I find today that I missed yesterday and the day before that...

I think the process is analogous to grinding out a mirror for a large telescope: incredibly laborious, but completely necessary.
  • Rewriting can be fun, annoying and scary, but in the end it turns a good piece of work into a brilliant piece. Keep at it. Try to enjoy it even when you're cutting out the bit you really loved at the beginning because it really doesn't fit anymore. Rewrites have to be done they are part of the process.... learn to enjoy them. Or at least put up with them.
    You have the right to kick me later when I'm moaning about a rewrite...okay?
    Good luck with it.
  • There must come a time when you stop rewriting and revising and pluck up the courage to send your previous book to a publisher or agent.
  • Hi Balloo.

I just finished the third draft of a 62000 word novel. I ended up ditching half the original draft, and rewriting it. The way I did it was to sit down after the first draft and just read, read, read, all the way through without making corrections. I did have a notebook beside me for thoughts and comments but I didn't act on them until I'd read the whole thing.

Once I'd read through draft one, I wrote down everything I thought needed to be done and began rewriting. Even so, it came to a point where I had to ditch the second half and pretty much rewrite from scratch.

Once draft two was done, I sat down again, re-read, but this time, I marked down changes I needed to make as I went along. As a result, draft three is done, and I'm doing a final spell check (manually) before I submit to agents.

Just to point out, draft 1 was 55000 words, draft two 60000 words and draft 3 62000, so over three drafts I added seven thousand words.

The key for me was to decide what I wanted the story to be, and then to re-write with that in mind.

Good Luck!!!
  • Hello fellow prose people,

My novel is 175,000 words. I've trimmed it a little, but it's still more or less that size.

After my first rewrite, I went through the whole printed manuscript with a pencil and read it aloud while marking notes on everything I didnt like or wanted to alter. I then proceeded to do the rewrite proper from the notes, and ended up changing still more. Then I went back to the first three chapters, because I knew they had to be super polished; that's where I've been stuck for three weeks. I managed to get the synopsis down to three pages - it was something like thirty before i.e, way, way too long, detailed and never ever going to sell the concept.

Another concern: I do notice when I'm reading it aloud, I often pronounce words incorrectly and sometimes even skip words in a sentance. I worry slightly what might happen if any publisher (mad enough to green light my book) wanted me to do live readings. Heaven forbid! 

Anyway, todays rewrite is about to commence.

• Those incorrect pronunciations and skipped words should be looked at and reworked. If you notice it so will a publisher/editor.
  • I meant when I'm reading it, when someone else reads it, it's fine. I'm a bit verbally hamfisted, but not on the page. 
  • Think about putting your work away for a few days or even a few weeks if you have the time.  You will come back to it with a fresher mind and find new ways to improve/change things.  I finished my book in August and went through an intense revision process before submitting to agents.  I then started writing the second book.  I had useful feedback from one agent on the first book about 6 weeks ago and went back to rewriting it.  The latest version is much better.   
  • Whatever happens, you always want to change the final version - even when that is the published book.
  • I'm not at that stage yet Jay, but I suspect you may be correct.

Mad doctor, I've already had one KB on a very hasty submission I made to an agent in July. Despite this rejection, it taught me a lot; in fact, I'm glad it was rejected because in truth I wasn't near ready. The agent was very nice, said it was strong in many areas, and she admired my achievement...but! That all important 'but'. Maybe every rejection letter has this, I don't know. I'm going straight to a publisher this time - no agents. 20% anyway, are they worth it? I'm hoping they view my submission as that glint of gold on a beggars bowl.

Haven't done my rewrite today, takes about three hours and I'm home late - need some sleep.
  • Only 3 hours, huh?  Boy, you're quick :O)!!