Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

too short

edited December 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi! I know a lot of writers seem to a have the problem of having too much to say, but I have the opposite problem. When I'm writing my scenes happen very quickly with a short word count. When i re- read it, it sounds okay, but- I don't know! Do you think I need more detail?
  • Impossible to say without seeing your work!

Having said that, I used to rush through stories at a great rate, and there never seemed to be any time to put in some information which it would have been useful for the reader to know.
    Then I started thinking - hey, it's my story, and I can tell it how I like, and if I want to make space to explain something, I can do that.  And if it doesn't work, I can change it when I rewrite.
  • Thanks for your reply,Evaine. That's some good advice! 
  • I also tend to keep things rather short, and am quite happy with that, as I don't enjoy reading long-winded descriptions etc. I'd suggest you get somebody else to read your stories, though, to check that you're not missing out on essentials.
  • It just depends on what you are writing. Short words and sentences can speed things up, while longer words and sentences extend the pace and slow things down.
  • Have you tried writing scripts?  Just a thought, but it might suit you. 

In a 30 minute sitcom for instance, every line of dialogue has to be as tight as possible, each must "earn its keep" or be cut.  And the stage directions should be kept to a minimum - there shouldn't be too much description, as the director and actors will interpret the script...does writing scripts for TV/stage/radio appeal at all?
  • Hello Railka,

When "scenes happen very quickly" they imply fast action which is fine if you are creating excitable emotion.
    Sometimes the reader needs a slower pace to gain full impression of the scene's setting or to calm themselves before the next bout of action.
    Integrating a mix of slow pace around these scenes may enhance interest for your writing.
  • Thanks everyone! I have thought about writing scripts but I've never actually done it before. Maybe I will try to write one.