Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Planning

edited November 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hello everyone,

Over the weekend, I went through all my character profiles for the novel I am writing, and made some significant changes. I had felt for a while that the story was lacking, and I made the decision to lose one of my characters. Instead, this character will feature in flashback scenes, and won't appear as an active character in the story (he’s dead, in other words). As a result of doing that, I've presented myself with what I think are good ideas. They were in my mind before, but taking the decision to lose one of the characters has opened the ideas up to new possibilities.

I have two lots of profiles for my main characters. The first part is a simple list that states their name, occupation, virtues, like and dislikes etc. The second part puts all this information into paragraphs, and I expand on the info presented in the list. These have all been tided up, and things now feel a lot clearer to me in terms of who the characters are and the problems in which they face etc.

But I haven't planned anything beyond this. I haven't, for example, made any chapter outlines or written down any summaries to particular scenes etc. I have loads of ideas for scenes, some quite advanced in my head and others touching the surface. I've written down several ideas in a notepad I carry round, but only in very loose note form.

I was wondering what your own approach is to planning your novel. Mine is a complex story based largely on character emotions. I feel some planning is necessary but I get a huge thrill out of writing spontaneously. If I had every little detail written down for my chapters, I think the excitement of actually writing the story would dwindle.

So I want to do some, but not too much. How do you go about it? I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks.
  • Well I do something between the two.
    I have the start, the idea and perhaps something that will happen later on for some reason. I may have a basic idea of some of my characters but not a lot of detailat first- that develops.
    I let my mind work, have certain plot points at various stages, consider how I will get between those points considering what I know about my characters and circumstances.
    If something emerges during the writing great.
    But I'm not a total plotter, nor a just write without a plan.
  • I tend to develop most of the idea in my head, and then once it is fighting to get out, I write it down. I tend to do a simplified synopsis or with a few major conflict points, settings etc then leave it to mature. Then when I'm ready I pick it up read it, maybe add a bit then start to write. I let the characters guide me and show me what they want to say. I don't cut it down to size until I'm done. So I suppose I'm a bit like Carol, I do a bit of both.
  • I probably start writing it and hope for the best.
  • I have character details and traits, a title (can't start writing without one) and a chapter-by-chapter plan which serves as a kind of map.  I like to know my destination, even if I choose to take a different route part way through.
    Despite all that however, I've never actually written a novel.  Have the above for at least three potential books, but as my 'thing' is poetry I wonder if I'd be wasting my time on a novel.  I know you don't know until you try but I don't think I'm committed enough.
  • I use New Novelist for my writing and planning. I am planning to get the latest edition perhaps after Christmas and New Year once I am certain of my finances - otherwise just jog along with what I have. It is still good enough for writing. At the moment I have to think about other expenses like Broadband, also I have just spent some money on a DAB radio, get in on time before the analogue signal is switched off, no point in leaving to the last moment. Case of priorties really. I have asked my local friend in the village to belp me install the broadband as I know that I am going to get into a real mess if I try it. I am a frightful coward and so is my mother. We won't even buy goods online.  Anyway, try NewNovelist if your finances stretch to it or drop a hint at Christmas, armed with the details from the net. I hope that has helped. I must try and knuckle down to Christmas cards tomorrow amongst other things. Get some money on Tuesday and buy stamps. I balked when I saw the queue in Sudbury[Suffolk] Post Office for I felt I ought to get back to work, voluntary or not.