Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Christmas headlines.

edited November 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I was helping my 10 year oldson with his homework. His class are designing a newspaper based on the Nativity. We came up with four headlines.
    1. Crying baby keeps locals awake.

2. Candle merchants complain of dropping sales due to bright light in sky.

3 Residents complain of camel dodo in streets as wise men arrive in town.

4 Sheep run wild in hills as shepards have singsong outside old stable.

I would love to hear anyothers.
  • UFOs over Bethlehem

It's a boy!  Mum and baby stable.

A new godson?  No, it's God's Son.
  • Thats what i am looking for. Brilliant
  • Visitors crib a bed at local inn.

Shepherds say 'halo' to royal visitor.

Overcrowding is virgin on the ridiculous, claim council officials.

Mary Christmas, everyone.
  • Will the stories appear in the Bethlehem Myrrh-cury?
  • Three kings turn up in Bethlehem. What happened to the rest of the pack?
  • No room at the inn. Council asks why? Or,Council asks for more Government funding.
  • Sorry that's ridiculous.
  • Keep the head lines flowing . I love them.
  • Angels give performance of a lifetime but fail to impress Simon Cowell.
  • What happened to the gold? Fraud Squad investigates.
  • What happened to the gold?

In reality, I imagine that God chose Joseph for his good sense.  I think Joseph passed the gold on to a fellow-Jewish banker who remained in the background to fund things like
    1. the flight into Egypt,
    2. training the boy to be a high-class artisan,
    3. and sending him to study the scriptures in a school for rabbis (teachers).
    The frankincense and myrrh could have been sold in Bethlehem to cover immediate expenses.

It's all in the Book , if you bother to look. 
  • Myrrh has medicinal properties so would have been valuable in a different way from the gold.
  • Thanks Carol ,trouble is I am lazy as well as a bad speller. Is there such a word as speller?
  • Thanks Carol ,trouble is I am lazy as well as a bad speller. Is there such a word as speller?
  • Invaluable's a funny word.
  • Amboline - As I no longer hide my light under the proverbial bushel ...

It was my headline and Patty kindly explained where the gold had probably gone (along with directions to the reference book)!

I wrote a story on the theme a few years ago but no one at my writing class was able to come up with any ideas - so thank you, Patty!!
  • The stable got quite smelly on Christmas night, having had to share it with an ox and ass, so Joseph used the gold to put his family up in a posh hotel on Boxing Day.
  • In my story Joseph lost it all when someone persuaded him to put it all into pyramid selling!
  • Greatest miracle ever: Joseph beleves Mary re virgin birth
  • Getting off the point here, looking for funny Christmas headlines
  • Careful CH - don't want to offend anyone!!
  • Massive demand for Christmas cards following sudden arrival of Christ.

Social Services ignore plight of family sleeping in cowshed.

Sick Father Christmas sends 3 kings to deliver new baby's presents.

Shepherds flock to stable where Mary had a little lamb (lamb of God etc...)

Tiny desert village snowed under with arrival of Madonna and family.

Three wise men test out the first GPRS/satnav system.

Kings desert their kingdoms to follow the stars.

Nazareth Gazette - Jan 1st 0000AD: Confusion as Christmas Day clashes with New Years Day.

• This is going to sound like the midnight/midday thread, but is there a year 0?
  • Great headlines, If there was a year "0" what was the one before it called?
  • Or 1BC (with hindsight).
  • "The Last Straw from Madonna as her Entourage Demands More Hay..."
  • Maybe it was the Year Dot!
  • Joseph tells his relatives, "I'm sick of ox as presents"
  • Shepherds demand "More pie".
  • what about "No room for Christians in Bethlehem" (BBC - Nov 2006)... still much the same situation 2000 years later, how sad!
  • Well, that's brought us sharply back to the reality of it all...
  • Nice one John McG - a comment worthy of a letter to some publication
  • What reality, TT?
    There is only one reality about Christmas that matters - the baby called Jesus born to the Virgin Mary in Bethlehem about 2,000 years ago, grew up to be crucified about 30 years later.
    For what crime exactly?
    For drumming it into the heads of his followers that he was Jesus, the Son of God.
    And if you cannot take a simple miracle (i.e. personal intervention by God) like the virgin birth, then you could have real problems when you get to Easter.

• Heavy stuff here, trying to lighten the load, looking for funny or quirky headlines on the Christmas theme.
  • Must be about time your son finished his homework and went off to bed, Mr D! In case he's still awake, here's one more...

"Queen goes wild as star-gazing hubby gives gold away to peasants."
  • Enormous sneeze from stable as visiting king discovers he's allergic to straw.
  • These headlines are very interesting and amusing. I agree with Patty's comments - that's what Christmas is really all about. Here's one I used on a Christmas leaflet: 'Christ is not just for Christmas'.
  • I like that Stan, very important.
  • A friend has just sent me a link to this website.

http://ecard.ashland.edu/2004admission/index.html

She called the email "Lovely Christmas Link" - and it is.
  • Jenny, thank you so much for posting the link. it really is so special. A Little slice of Christmas.
  • It might be the only snow we get this Christmas!