Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I can't fiction multi-task

edited November 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Oh dear - when I started my novel, I vowed to concentrate on that and not get diverted by short stories, which always take me an inordinate amount of time to write.  However, an idea came to me a few weekends ago (inspired by my friend's firework display burning down her neighbour's shed) and I decided to take 'a week off' to write it up.

I produced 3/4 of a first draft, then decided I'd started in the wrong place, had far too much reported speech and action and it was basically a load of old rubbish.

Week 2 I rewrote it and thought it was much better.  On Saturday I reviewed some of my 'how to write a short story' reference material (should have done that first) and realised, again, that there were major flaws in it - too many ideas populating it and too long a time span for a short story.

Here I am, at the start of Week 3 of the Great Short Story Debacle, facing a third rewrite.  Meanwhile, my novel characters, who are just reaching midpoint (great place to have a break, eh?!), are all in suspended animation, grumbling 'What the heck's going on and why have you left us here?'  I'm determined to finish the short story - if possible to get it in to the New Writer competition, which closes in 10 days - or I shall feel that I've wasted two weeks of novel time.  I know what I want to say now in the short story and it's been a good learning exercise - I now realise the shortcomings in some of my previous shorter fiction work - but once this is out of the way, I'm going to renew my 'no fiction multi-tasking' vows and rescue my novel's protagonist sharpish, before she goes off into a terminal sulk.

Anyone else have this problem or are you all able to dip in and out of fiction projects more easily?
  • What a dilemma. No, I can't multi-task that way, because as you've found they each have different requirements and you have to get into that mode.
    Unless you're Dorothy, who can do it.
    I've been doing a lot of non-fiction lately, and then I had a momentary urge to do some fiction- a short story that needed rewriting and hasn't been touched for two years.
    Your characters will wait for you, however annoyed they may be.
    Good luck with the story.
  • T'aint easy, is it?  I have had several false starts at novel writing.  I find they're like diets - stick to it day in, day out and all goes well, miss a day and I can't get back to it.  I find multi-tasking on short pieces okay and I guess if you've the discilpline having a break from a novel can be good for you and your characters.  Hope you return to it refreshed, Hippo.
  • I have one novel and three shorts on the go at the moment.  My characters from my novel are glaring at me as I type (serves me right for having a corkboard with sketches and notes propped up on my desk really).  Im taking a bit of a break from them as they have painted themselves into a bit of a corner, but the short stories tend to get longer and at the moment I think my head is going to explode...so you have my sympathy!!!!
  • Maybe I understand it at last - Six Characters in Search of an Author!
  • I don't know it if is multi-tasking, but I do have more than one project on the go at any one time. This enables me to step away and let the major idea I'm working on to develop subconsciously while I work on another piece. I've been doing this for years and it works for me. But I don't have all of them open at the same time, but might work on one for an hour then change to another. If that is multi-tasking with writing then I guess I do.
  • I'm another multi-tasker. I need the variety or creativity starts to wane.  But I push myself to make sure I'm a "finisher" too, as it would be easy to throw all the balls in the air and never put any of them away again!
  • Hey, Jay!  Great idea for a novel/filmscore - 6 characters in search of an author.  Has it already been done?  Can I do it?
  • I have found variety is good, but it is worth bearing in mind that novels can take, sometimes, years to become the final product. The only problem is if you have too many deadlines on the go you can sometimes give up because you are overwhelmed. Maybe set yourself 'X' amount of targets a year but make sure that your main project has more time spent on it. If you just focus on one project for too long it is danger of becoming stagnant. I suppose the question is how regular do you want to see your name in print?
  • It's a play by Pirandello - Sei Caratteri in Cerca di (un) Autore. We studied it for 'A' level Italian, and I've seen it performed at the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre. At no time did I understand what it was all about. I'm sure you could do your own version!
  • Anna, I seem to remember a bit where the people on stage walked forwards saying, "What are we doing here, what are we doing here?" A question I fully endorsed from my seat in the audience.
  • On reflection, it might have been: "What are we going to do, what are we going to do?" I'm afraid I didn't really care. Your version could only be better.
  • Cheers, Jay, I'll look it up.
  • Call me, especially on this one.  I'll send my number.  Please.  TTxx
  • I find this one difficult, too.  Especially when people say gaily "Oh, well, send out a few of your short stories while you're writing your novel-draft" etc...

It really pees me off and I'd say far worse if I was a stand-up comic but I'm not.  Anyway, it's all very well but I find that, once I switch, I get all confused because I'm still getting novel stuff coming through and so I need to stick with the one area or the other.

Simple as that.  Not easy though :O)
  • Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies and encouragement.  TT, I've just emailed you separately - hope to speak/meet soon - I look forward to exchanging views on this one!

The third rewrite of the short story went well and I'm now on to the nitty gritty editing and polishing.  I'm probably on target to have it finished in a month, which is, as I recall, how long it generally takes me to complete a short story to my satisfaction.  I had something of an epiphany when writing it and realise now where some of my other short fiction was going wrong - so am pleased about that.

I suppose we all work in different ways and maybe I'm slower than others and can't have more than one focus - which is odd, because at work I have to work fast, juggle and multi-task all the time.  Like TT, I get annoyed - or just laugh - when I read some recommendations to writers.  Amongst some reference materials I found an article on 'how to win short story competitions'.  Among the advice was to enter 3-4 new stories for each competition you took part in and to spread the entries, so that some arrived early and some near the competition deadline. 3-4 stories!!!  If it takes me a month to complete each, I would only be able to enter about 3 competitions a year...and would have to know about them months and months in advance!  An unrealistic piece of advice for me, I'm afraid.
  • And think of the cost!