Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A prize!

edited October 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I got a parcel from Writing Magazine today.  It had a book inside - "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" by Orson Scott Card, and a letter telling me I'd won the SF competition, and that the story had been published in the July edition.

"I don't remember that," I thought, and went to check my collection of magazines.  Where I found every issue except July.

Anyone got a spare copy of the July Writing Magazine they'd let me have, so I can look at my story in print and gloat?
  • well done Evaine, an unsual way to find out!
    But what the heck! Have a drink on me!
  • Well done, Evaine! I don't remember any Science Fiction, though. I'll go and have a look ...
  • Writers' News - competition winner Pippa Elliott with Prevention Is Better Than Cure; and Writing Magazine short short winner Michelle Gullick with The Icing On The Cake.
  • Glad to hear of your success, Evaine! Jolly well done!!
  • I've just flicked through the two July magazines, and those are the only two stories I can find. Can any Sci Fi fans shed any light on the subject?
  • Evaine - What was the title of your story? There's a list of previous winners (accessed via Competitions in the lefthand menu).
  • Evaine - I've looked through the list and can't see anything about an SF competition. If all else fails, try emailing Webbo for an explanation. (It couldn't have been July 2005, could it? The Royal Mail can be a bit slow sometimes!)
  • Evaine? I've got a copy of the July 06 issue announcing the competition. I looked in the August issue, but couldn't find anything about your winning entry. 
  • Maybe it'll be published in one of the magazines due out in a week's time.
  • Hello Evaine,
    the competition, not your entry, appeared in the July issue. It was for a 250-word science fiction mini-story.
    Enjoy the book!
    Webbo
  • Well done. Gosh, you'd think they could have printed that many words, wouldn't you!!
  • Well done Evaine!
  • If the competition only appeared in July, the winning entry will not have been printed yet. Thay tend to catch up with these short 250 word pieces and print several at once - see Writing Magazine October page 46 which has the book prize winners from April, May and even February. Be patient - it will be there one day soon!
  • Easily confused, me, especially since July seems to have fallen down a Black Hole for me.

Thank you, Webbo.  The book is excellent - I really wanted to win it - and I'll look forward to seeing my work published in due course.
  • I picked up the December issue of the Writing Magazine today - and there was my story!

And I saw a rainbow while I was taking my dog out for a walk, which is always a good omen for me.
  • Congratulations on winning. Are you writing a science fiction book? or are you about to?
  • Well done, you!
  • Evaine - Your patience has been rewarded!
  • Congratulations. 
  • Hip Hip...Hooray!
  • Well done Evaine!  Enjoy it!
  • Well done!!!

I've read that book and it's probably one of the best SF/Fantasy how to books going.