Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Second Novel

edited November 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I am nearing the end of writing my first novel, and about to start a new researching the next book.

My problem is that my first book is a crime/thriller novel, and the second is more of a 'riddle' plot.  Even though it is set in modern day Edinburgh it requires indepth knowledge of medieval Scotland, right up to the modern day.

Can anyone recommend any books, websites or online groups that would help me with plotting and research right?.  Plus, I normally read crime novels, occassionally veering into literary fiction, so could anyone recommend any good books, that will help me with the structure of such a novel?.

P.S No-one say Dan Brown.  Please.  I've just thrown Angels and Demons against the wall.
  • it can join my copy. Sorry I can't help you with the research. I only know Rankin in the present day but I'm sure you'll have read him.
  • Stirling, you may be taking on too much if you're looking at researching from medieval times up to the present day.
    I'd suggest you consider what you HAVE to know and at what time periods, what it would be useful to know, and what you might need to know and where you can find it.
    When you're writing you will probably find there are things you need to know, and you may or may not have already researched them.
    What is the time range in medieval Scotland you're starting with?
    Once you reach the 18th Century the influence of the English on Scotland is very strong on some parts of the Scottish populace- that is a big piece of research in itself.
    I think you really need to sit down and plot out your story outline to see what you're going to need.
    I may be wrong, but I wouldn't attempt that vast amount of research without a basic idea of when and where you're going.
    I'm sure Dorothy will have some useful words of wisdom.
  • Thanks for the great advice.

The beginning of the timeline starts about 1297, or maybe a few years before the Battle of Stirling Bridge (the story is based on Edward I's removal of the Stone of Destiny and The Holy Rude from Edinburgh, and what happened to them), so a lot of the research invloves The Scottish Wars of Independence, and maybe James VI (of Scotland, or if you want James I of England), my reading so far is limited so it may also include the Jacobite Rebellion too.  Which means the English influence and even devolution are important, even if it is just on characterisation.

Thanks, DorothyD.  I will definitely take your suggestions up.