Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

On the world's longest final shortlist ever

edited November 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I'm not sure this should even be in the 'Writing Successes' category, but here goes.

I entered the PCS/Words Magazine short story competition this summer and they've just announced the results.  So, off I trotted to the results' page (http://www.wordsmag.com/unioncomp2.htm), where I found that not only did I make it to the second reading stage, I was in the final shortlist.

This sounds great, until I tell you that the final shortlist consisted of nearly a third of the 381 entrants! (at a rough tot up of the massive list of names on the final shortlist - I kept losing count.  And it wasn't alphabetical, so I'd had to do Ctrl F and search on my name, even to find myself in the first place).

Ahh well, it was an old story, whose theme happened to fit the competition theme, so I thought it was worth a shot.  At least someone, somewhere, liked it enough to read it twice!
  • Good for you, Hippo! See - your story didn't get thrown out with the bathwater!!
  • Doesn't matter about the length of the shortlist - it's great. Let's face it, you could have been in the bottom two thirds. Congrats.
  • Well done! I think I was on one of their lists once, too. That was pretty long.
  • Hi
    I got at the same stage as you and I'm chuffed its the closest i have ever got in my short story competition as far as i know so I must be gettig somewhere thats how I feel anyway.
    What on earth has happned to this site? No headings just lists?
  • ValYellow - There have been problems so Webbo disposed of that page!

You can find the category headings by clicking on Choose Category - it's to the right of Webbo's left ear near the top of the page!
  • Getting on any shortlist is great. Well done.
  • Thanks all.

Island Girl - after I'd logged off I realised how daft I was to take the 'glass half empty' approach and thought how peeved I'd have been to have been in the 'bottom' two-thirds.  Well said!

Val Yellow - I spotted your name, as I was counting them and thought 'why is that name familiar?'.  Now I know.  Well done to you, too.  You must be very pleased.  It is always great to have your name on a writing comp website and, when you think about it, it's nice to share the page with so many fellow writers.  After all, we're all in this together.
  • Poetry reading - A few weeks ago I read one of my poems at a pub poets day and it has now been published in a small press booklet. I felt nervous about reading but now I'm glad I did.
  • Well done Jaycee.
  • I think that just getting shortlisted is a huge bonus to the ego!  Irrespective of the length of it, if you think that they may have had thousands of entries.  Just give yourself a big pat on the back, Hippo!  Well done.

And a big well done to Jaycee!