Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Gone with the wind ?Trump? F**t?

edited October 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Not sure how to phrase this but when you write children's stories are you allowed to use words like f**t for breaking wind etc, my two boys love all these rude silly sounds in cartoons, but if i write a children's story i don't want to ruin my chances of acceptance. What words are acceptable.
  • Never had hildren so the thought of writing children's books would terrify me. Fond as I am of nephews, neices and God children, they are crude little beggars or are they just trying shock me?
  • I don't think I'd be too worried about it, but it's probably worth looking at other books and see if it's something that does or doesn't appear.
    Some parts of the country may never have heard it referred to as a trump, in fact I hadn't heard it called that until I moved to the Midlands.
    What age is the story aimed at?
  • As always Janice,
    Write in the context of the characters interpretations and their language will be correct.

Didn't Roald Dahl write blunt imagery in his books intended for young readers?
  • Thanks for your comments so far their encouraging.keep em coming folks
  • The story is aimed at 8 years upwards
  • When our girls were little they loved that bit in one of Roald Dahl's books about the grandmother's mouth looking like a dog's bottom!

And one library book (about a little boy who I think was called Thomas) always fell open at the page showing a baby's dirty nappy. That was obviously the page previous readers had been fascinated by!!
  • I've seen children's books with smutty bits e.g. bogies and spitting, because the kids just love it.  Worth looking at some of the best selling books aimed at children. 
  • Children love it but the editors might not. I'd be inclined to use 'trump', 'parp', 'toot' or 'blow off' rather than 'fart' for this age range; even better if you can come up with an innovative euphemism which is funny and descriptive.
  • I've come across windy pop.
  • I came back from Spain last night and had to sit close to two small boys (not mine, thank goodness), who spent the whole flight seeing who could produce the noisiest, smelliest 'bottom burps', as they called them. The other passengers, being British, all pretended not to notice.
  • I feel really at home reading this thread - you've found my level.  My face aches with all the broad grinning.
  • PS This kid's 41.
  • This must be the most sophisticated thread on Talkback!
  • Does that help, Janice?
  • Yes Janice,
    Does such a kaliedoscope of phrasing, for a base natural motion (?) resolve your dilemma or just add to the confusion. I think the general consensus confirms we are all children at heart and as such cannot realistically object when actions are described in their simplest, honest, form.

Now TessaTangent,
    I am beginning to see you in a different light. Yes I know autumn sunshine glows a changing hue but your colourful persona emits intermittent, sparkling insights, of pure eloquence.
  • Yes, that's really helpful i think i'll take a chance and stick the odd fart in but not overdo it. Strange how atopic like this brings out the child in you,still better out than in.;)
  • When my sister and her family lived in Germany, their sons were very young but old enough to be able to read road signs, many of which used the words Fahrt! You can imagine what car journeys were like!!
  • Botty burp?

Actually I'm not sure I can think of a single audience that would be appropriate to.
  • Did any of you hear Michael Ball on the Jonathan Ross show tonight talking about his problems with flatulence? 
  • No, but I remember Jonathan Ross saying he'd let rip just before Kylie came in once, and waving his arms about in an effort to clear the air!
  • A sure way to identify a disguised Slitheen in Dr Who is to look for the large person who is f*rting. 
  • So what did Michael Ball say?
  • Michael Ball said that in one scene in 'Aspects of Love', he was just about to slide into bed with a much younger actress when he let rip and  he's never forgotten the appalled look on her face.  It's funny that Evaine should have mentioned the Slitheen, because one of the actors featured in that particular Dr Who story is notorious for the same problem.  Discretion prevents me from disclosing his name, but he told me himself that it would be best for everyone if we worked with the windows open after lunch.
  • I don't know about the kids - this subject matter still has me laughing tears.  I think I'm plagued with a puerile sense of humour
  • Does anyone know why Margaret Mitchell called her novel Gone With The Wind? Surely there was no connection with the subject of this thread!!
  • Is it 'gas' rather than 'wind' in America? I once came across a website called 'Sophie's Wind'.
  • Anyone not giggling whilst reading this thread is a boring old fart. 
  • Jenny, perhaps it was to do with the winds of change that swept over the South during that time. All the past life the characters had- money and frivolity were gone, just as if the wind had swept things away.
  • That makes sense. Thanks, Carol!
  • I've always rather liked 'monstrous guffer'!
    And I still smile at a line from 'The Young Ones' TV series. After one of the characters has farted, Vivian fans the air vigorously and the says: 'I can't breathe that - I'm a vegetarian!'
  • This thread has a close relation in Round Brittany on a bottle (Writing Tales section)!!!
  • Aha, it was Neil who was a vegetarian - he was the resident hippy!  (Sorry, pedant at work, here...)
  • Sorry, TaffetaPunk, you're absolutely right. Vivian had the studs nailed to his forehead! It was early in the morning, and the brain - you know.