Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Character description

edited August 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I need to write a character description for my writing group exercise and wondered whether anyone had any tips for how to do it.  I've found it quite interesting in the past to write a first person account, almost like introducing them to another person or a conversation with the reader. Any other ideas?
  • This is one idea that I found popular in my own writing classes:
      Place three groups of cards or pieces of paper face down, having writen on them:
    1. Name/Girl or boy
    2. Status eg office girl/boy, police officer, new mum etc
    3. Scene-where are they?

Writer choses one from each pile and writes story based on these three key words.
    Also, first person account using suggestions: eg, a letter in the post,a happy occasion, my funniest moment etc
    Great fun and good writing comes out from it.  Hope this helps. 
  • Thought about describing them by their actions instead of their appearance? I know its difficult, but man called Bill wearing a yellow rain mack, with long hair, brown eyes etc, doesn't say as much about him as his actions.
    If you can find actions that the reader will sympathise with, they will understand the person much more. Take for example, Miss Haversham (Great expectations).

Milhouse.
  • You could also include the way the character reacts emotionally to situations and people.
  • Aha!  Great advice guys - thanks.  I shall try one or too for my next writing group exercise.
  • Hi,

perhaps you could try showing the character's description through their actions.

For example:

Kren's tangled long locks flailed wildly in the wind. His ancient and wrinkled brow arched down into a frown as he squinted into the rain. etc,etc.

That's the kind of thing I'd do, but then I've never been a big fan of first person perspective.

Nailbomb.
  • Nailbomb, having seen your profile, it seems a bit presumptious to assume we wouldn't all like to be published.  Isn't that every writer's dream?  However, writing for pleasure means you will eventually have the skills required to actually be published (in theory, anyway).  Don't knock writing for pleasure - it's saved the sanity of more than one person.

Welcome to Talkback, anyway.
  • At risk of sounding like an advert for Newnovelist, this is where the software can be very useful in that context as it gives you everything regarding character description. There is a new one coming out shortly called Newnovelist 2. I don't know yet what price it will be but the company told me they would let me know and it can be downloaded and it won't need a code, whoopee. They have come in leaps and bounds - easy to install and use. They sent me one the other day for free[did help being agonizingly polite mind you, explaining that the code on my second copy did not work since I had XP installed[see details on other email, take too long to go into but the nub of it, a certain person from Lavenham, downloaded a pirated edition of XP - least said soon as mended. I was not a pleased little bunny because out of the blue, the year changed to 2165 and I know I had not touched it.  Anyway I digress, mine is up and running. The website address is www.newnovelist.com. Another one is WriteItnow.com[www]of course for the prefix.If you have a birthday or hanker for a special Christmas present, NN could be the best one. It's easy peasy.  Regards Tomboy
  • Tomboy,
    Are we talking about a writing engine here? something that finds potential faults and floors in a manuscript?

I know such programs are out there, but isn't that a little like cheating, or is it just help?

It's like someone that endlessly goes through their manuscript with a thesaurus, endlessly searching for new words. Maybe they should learn their craft better in the first place.

I used to be guilty of such a crime. since I have changed the habbit, my writing has com on leaps and bounds because I no longer rely on technology.

Milhouse
  • Loved Tafetapunk's comments Being retired and of independant  means, since I lost my wife I wrie for my own pleasure. Should my rubbish ever be published great if not I am not that bothered. Writing, friends and playing bridge have kept me sane so I have no inhibitions with my characters it's an unfortunate fact that female charater appearance will directly affect the story as the way the male chaacters react will greatly depnd on this. Maybe it should not be this way but it is. I have no idea why the female responds as they do I am not even sure they have!
  • Hi Curly; Yes, characters must be the most vital part of any story.
    To my mind, there is no need to invent characters from zero, since the average writer knows so many people inside out anyway. And some of them are so much larger than life. You know the ones: the eccentrics, the loud-mouths, the holier-than-thou’s, the yes-men, the shrinking violets, the people who feel they run the whole works. There are so many types, and if we know them very well, we can imagine with very little effort how they would react in any given situation. Or how they would act if they were a serial killer, even.
    Did Dickens know a Uriah Heep, for example, or did he know some obsequious individual and then DOUBLE it? This is a useful principle, I find, when searching for characters. It wouldn’t surprise me to discover that every writer with tremendous characters started from the people they knew. The important thing is for the character, once created, to remain consistent.

I’d like to reply to Nailbomb in your thread. By the way, that’s not a nice name – wanna change it? No offence but gosh!
    Your example stops short of showing character description through actions, if you examine it closely; it involves appearance details only and falls, I fear, into the category of ‘telling not showing’. Kren sounds an intriguing character, so the description is appealing to me, but what comes next? I must know the answer to the question: What does he DO? How does he ACT? And the extension to this is: What does he SAY in various situations? I want to see Kren in action.
  • Well said Jack
  • Is a collection/novel a multi-storey story?
  • That should probably be a multi-story. (Or, as I typed, a mulit-story - probably like A Fish Called Wanda.)
  • If it was a multi-story, about fish, that used a 7 point ark, wouldn't that make it a multi-story carp-ark?

Sorry.

Milhouse.
  • Depends what market you're angling for, Milhouse.
  • Plus, you'd need a really good hook.
  • Would it be a story or a Tail? Guess it depends on the Scale of things. It all sounds a bit fishy to me.
  • Plumb (what's fruit got to do with it?) the depths of your soul, but don't get stuck between a rock and a hard place. Sorry, rock's on  another thread.
  • That's why Iv'e got a stony look on me mug.
  • A stoney look or a stone fish?
  • Or even rock salmon.
  • Careful everbody or we'll laugh so much our sides will hake!
  • 'This frivolity is out of plaice' said the grave bishop.
  • I should have said that the bishop lives in Fishguard and his plates of meat are smelly. 
  • 'These jokes are becoming dead funny' said the undertaker who lives in Bone Yard, Gravesend in Kent. 
  • Here lies William Bacon,
    Undertaker, overtaken.

Not mine, alas.
  • Hehe, Jay, I like that.  Here's one my dad always told me:

"Here lies the body of Thomas Pound
    Who was lost at sea and never found"
  • My favourite is:
    Here lies the body of Jonathan Day
    Who died defending his right of way,
    He was right, dead right
    As he sped along
    But he's just as dead
    As if he was wrong.

Now that SHOWS character.
  • Reading epitaphs, our only salvation lies in resurrecting the dead and burying the living