Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A pretty name for a 2 year old girl

edited October 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hello everyone,

In my novel, I have a 2-year-old girl who I am largely basing on my second cousin. She is called Rebecca, but for a reason I can't explain, I have grown unsatisfied with the name over the last week or so.

I'm currently looking on some websites for ideas, but what I am after is a fairly short name, with 2 or 3 syllables. Considering that her mother is very feminine, it needs a have a pretty sound about it, something that can provoke thought even.

I know it's a bit lazy, but I would be really grateful for any ideas you might have for a name. Personally, I'd like something a bit more unusual.

Thank you very much,

Steven.
  • How about Ariel? Or Ariadne?
  • If you don't mind four syllables.
  • Try putting baby names into a google search. The website www.babycenter.com/babyname has loads of names from various countries.
  • How about Maisie. Always been a name that conjures up a little girl who looks cute, with curly hair.
  • Here are a few more...Lacie, Kirra, Tailah, Sherridan, Mia, Fleur or even Bonnie.
    (Love Miri, Nenastew!)

You could try a few websites listing baby names as suggested by Jenny. Here a couple of good ones you might like to try:
    http://www.babynamesworld.com
    http://123-baby-names.com
  • Pheobe, Mimi or Sasha. A popular one for the new intake at school at the moment is Trinity and Scarlet.

There are other weird and wonderful one coming into schools these days.
  • Freya is a lovely name and becoming more popular
  • Or Lily, Annie...And I can't think of any more.
  • Emily? Alice? Or too many associations?
  • I know a woman who's name is Vivika, which I'd never heard before I met her but I think it's a lovely name.
    Also, I used to work with an Avis.  She'd always say, 'yes, like the car people' but apparently the name had been in her family for generations.
  • I like Rhona (my daughter's name so maybe biased!) and Ruby.

Something that strikes me when I'm reading is that names go in and out of favour in a kind of cycle over time, so I suppose your choice might be influenced by the period in which your story is set and the age of the child at the time you are writing about her. For example, the revival of pretty but 'old fashioned' names like Daisy, Millie and so on is quite recent. There would have been very, very few little girls called by these names if they were born in the UK in the 1970s, 1980s and early/mid 1990s.
  • Er... That wasn't Jany, that was me! Whoops!

Another 50p for the meter ;-)
  • Sophie, Megan.
  • I like Ella.  I also know a little girl called Dayanta which I think is pretty.
  • Have we given you enough to ponder Schumi.
  • A big thank you to everyone who suggested some names. I'd say there are 3 or 4 that are along the lines of what I am after.

Carol, I really liked your suggestion of Maisie. I think that's my favourite, although I also like Daisy, Megan and Sophie.

Thanks again everyone.
  • If I'm not too late with suggestions, how about Amelie?
  • How about the old Irish American name Shayla that is still quite a popular unusual name in the USA.  It stayed firmly in my mind when I first heard it.