Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Anyone submitted work to the Guardian?

edited October 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Having looked at all the possibilities, I'm thinking of trying my article on my internet problem, with The Guardian. According to the Writers Yearbook, they take work from freelancers.
    I have a couple of different angles to hang it on, but not sure if I should aim for the woman's section or the technology bit.
    Any one got any suggestions?
  • Hi Carol. If you go to the Guardian on-line (www.guardian.co.uk), they have a drop-down menu that includes quite detailed information about submissions and house style (and contact e-mail addresses for each section / editorial dept).
    The print and on-line (Guardian Unlimited) versions have different content, but I don't think there is a specific women's section as such any longer. The Technology section (Thursday in print version) has an on-line counterpart with daily updates, and the 'Ask Jack' section could be of interest. There is also the G2 magazine-type publication each day, as well as the main paper and the regular daily thematic supplements.
  • Thanks Katy. I've been reading the online version recently, but haven't gone right down the drop down menu due to lack of time. I'll take a close look at it.
    The online version appears to have a woman's section on a Tuesday, but not the old style women's sections papers did in the past.
    The Writers Handbook for 2007 does give a listing for this section, but that may have changed since it went to print.
    I will have to dedicate more time to looking at the sections you've mentioned that I haven't yet read.
    That's been a great help.
    All info welcome.
  • Does your library hold old(ish) copies of The Guardian you could have a look at?
  • The online addition does have an archive section. But I'm sure there are back copies held at the library. I'll set some time aside early next week to go and explore. Thanks for that Jay.
  • Katy, I've just spent some time looking at the info for freelancers. And have downloaded their style guide (it's worth everyone taking a look)and feel confident in putting forward a proposal.
    Thanks again.