Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Starting points

edited October 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• If you want a literary heretic's method of working, here it is.

1. Start with a Big Idea... let it grow and then encapsulate it into a title, so that you know what you are working on, like this...

2. What if a gene-disturbing drug were developed that was capable of making the entire male gender on Planet Earth sterile?

3. And supposing the day must be saved by four gays, but only the Spanish narrator knows the other three - one Welsh Doctor of Genetics, one Spanish retailer-chemist and one young French waiter.  Believe me, with such differences in age, career and nationality, those guys don't need character profiles.  Boyo, they react to the emergency.

4. Add a couple of no-nonsense English women, and even the plot will fall into line.  In the above it helps to know some genetics.

5. I told you I was a heretic (that kind anyway) so it's no surprise that agents and publishers keep clear of me.

Regards, Patty.
  • Wilgetthere, sorry, this should have gone into your thread.  Regards, Patty
  • the film on at the pictures at the minute called children of men is on a simliar topic but sterility of both genders not just men, so perhaps you could get some good ideas for your own book by going to see that. the film is based on a book of the same name but you can probably get it in the library. also have you seen the tv comedy series called little britain patty? please dont think i'm being rude but it sounds like your script is a great idea for a comedy film for dafyd. if youve seen little britain he is the only gay in his welsh village, very funny. a serious message told in a funny way is always nice.
  • Danny,
    Thanks for your interest and suggestions, but the book was finished by April 2005 when we returned from Spain. 
    My version is grim in parts... executing an innocent man and blowing up six laboratories at night is quite a spectacle; and yes, it would make good television.  Any offers?
    Regards, Patty