Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Scrap Success Category?

edited September 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Am I alone in thinking that Writers News should scrap this success column? Year after year writers struggle to make ends meet, and the on top of that we have to suffer other people's success's!
    Who likes a show off? No one- and yet this column encourages us to just that. Even i submitted to this weakness against my better judgement- and although I received a tremendously warm welcome,  I feel I shouldn't have done it.

I always used to feel like 'Throwing Up' whenever I heard a bright 2o something receive a rediculous amount for a first novel, and positively sick for days after when I read the poor novel.

Isn't it better to allow successful authors to just contribute to writing related topics and stop them from telling everyone that they have just received £ 150,000 for a book. This act of kindness will save them from themselves!

Please don't take this personally, I'm only thinking aloud. Love to all you talkbackers!
  • I feel it has taken some time to get some success. I find often this is the first place (well second) i want to tell. I have found this catigory has also helped me see peoples success and feel exited for their reward for all their hard work. I am sorry you do not feel the same.
  • This thread gives ideas to other writers as to where they might send their work. By the way, who received £150,000?
  • Hi Jay, u get to the point who got 150k? Funny, that was just an example.
    Val- well done on yr website and first publication.
    I've got to learn to kill this small irritating demon, but dont worry too much, this as with most things sits very lightly with me.
    Dorothy, u have a cool attitude towards this!

It feels better getting it off my chest.
    Love always!
  • Vijay - I'm worried about you "throwing up" and "feeling....sick for days". You haven't been eating sour grapes have you?
  • Hi Vijay, please don't THIS personally either but I find it strange you would even suggest such an idea when, on the 18th September (not so very long ago) you didn't have any such doubts about this section and seemed quite happy to post YOUR success then sit back while everyone congratulated you.  Perhaps you might need to have a bit of a quiet think in the naughty corner about that old 'What's Good for The Goose is Good for the Gander' saying. Hmmmmm.
  • Nena what a lovely example, Tilly I've gotta start eating fresh grapes!
    Island girl-  its my time for the naughty corner.
    This bugbear will leave me with your help and good wishes.
    Love xx
  • 'The Green Mistress Envy is a terrible girlfriend beware of her tight embrace and passionate kiss- what you think is a sweet kiss is filled with poison.And you realize it only after a long time, by which time the poison has spread. Loving brothers become distant, neighbours cold, envy is present even between a husband and wife!

Pray for all those afflicted, and i put myself first in that line! Well perhaps in the middle somewhere!

Love- Vijay.
  • See, sanity restored.
  • Vijay, I don't know why you are feeling envious.Your book is going to be published! You've got an agent! That's fantastic. You should be full of joy. The success of one Talkbacker gives hope and encouragement to all of us. We share the successes and the failures. Can you imagine how awful it would be if none of us ever had any success. We need the good news to keep us going, and when you are feeling down or need advice about your writing you will find that Talkbackers are the best bunch of people to help.It's "all for one and one for all" on here. Enjoy your writing!
  • Vijay - This section is for all kinds of successes, not only large ones. Just to win a small prize in a competition can give someone a terrific boost!
  • You're all good people, deserving of success.
    Back to writing, is that my neighbour driving a brand new mercs! Damn, musn't look!!
    Love, Vijay.
  • When I post a success on Talkback it's the one time I DON'T feel as though I'm bragging or courting other people's disapproval.  I was brought up to hide my light as much as possible in case letting it shine upset someone.  As a result I've learnt not to share successes with certain people in my life until the excitment wears off, so at least their response doesn't ruin the initial celebration for me.  But I've never had to hesitate here.  That means a lot to me.  I hope it never changes.

Also, there's nothing I enjoy more than the opportunity to congratulate a fellow Talkbacker, whether the success is a publishing deal or managing to write for a straight weekend in a busy schedule.
  • Without this section Writeman might never have told us that one of his short stories is going to be used on a course in a university in Moldova!
  • I think the success category is very important. Writing can be a lonely street. To share success is a wonderful thing. It inspires others and makes you feel as though maybe for the first time that you are moving in the right direction. I think it is rather selfish to even suggest such a thing! Get rid of it indeed!!
    I don't think I'm alone in keeping all my small success in a scrapbook but to share them is even better. Please don't take this little area away from us writers who so rarely have the opportunity to say I DID IT.
    As for those who do get two/three book deals and are getting a big bung, then jolly good luck to them. I think this makes you more determined that one day it will be your name there with the big money and the book deal attached to it. It's something to aspire to.