Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Time of the year

edited September 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I am definitely thick,it has only just become apparant to me that some scenes must take place at different seasons of the year. I am now going through my novel entering a date at intervals, I am marking these with a flag which will enable me to remove them later. Some novels I have read are entirely time based and each chapter is  a new time or date, I don't want to go there. How do oyther writers cope with changing seasons?
  • Did you also file this question in 'Writing Queries'? See my answer there.
  • Crazy Horse, I'm writing my first novel and decided to keep a scene and chapter list (based on something similar in The Weekend Novelist), with a brief summary of action and dialogue, but also details of the time of day and year and the setting for each scene.  I may end up, when redrafting, moving the whole thing timewise, but I find it helpful to know the time of year for details such as what people might be wearing or doing - I had one scene where someone picked flowers out of the garden for someone else...then realised that, for the time of year I'd reached, those flowers wouldn't have been anywhere near in bloom!  I think it helps for consistency and detail like that - I need to have a strong picture in my head of a scene before I can write it and this all helps me.
  • Quite right Island Girl. I thought it hadn't loaded so repeated the item. Slap my wrist for being impatient
  • This may not be entirely relevant to the topic, but for the past year I have been keeping a weekly note of the weather. I started on the 1st of October last year, and now have virtually a complete year detailing the changes in the weather, and when certain flowers start to come through etc. I've also kept a note of how the sun times change.

Overall, it's been interesting, and of great help to the the novel I am currently writing. Now I will be able to accurately say when it should be getting light and dark in certain months without guessing. So from my exeperience, it is a good idea to keep an eye on what's happening outside.