Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Successful Writing

JanJan
edited September 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• "The One Show" 6-55p.m. tonight on BBC One. According to the trailer "Meera Syal shares advice on how to be a successful writer."

I thought this should be shared with you all, just in case it holds interest. The article may result in being waffle, I have no knowledge of the programme or the people.

Overseas folk may be able to access the programme via the www.BBC.co.uk website.

May you all enjoy a prosperous day,
                                     Jan.
  • Apologies for the blank posting.
    I forgot Webbo's instruction that quotation marks have computer language meaning, therefore will not appear for us mere participants.
  • That explains it.
  • MMMMmmm.... Maybe if meera syal didn't belong to cult of celebrity, and was just starting out her oppinions on how to be a successful writer might be a little different? It's not sour grapes, just that I was wondering if she had to send her manuscript off to several dozen agencies in order to get one? Or, did they come to her, safe in the knowedge that she would get the publicity etc???

Perhaps I'll take the "have a fling with an MP and sell the story to the News Of the World" route? Then will an agent find me?

don't get me wrong, It's a bit of an oxymoron, but some celebs have written some cracking books, but how many are ghosted?

Grumpy Milhouse.
  • Difference is, in this case, that Meera Syal's a very talented writer.
  • I thought her first novel quite brilliant and enjoyed it very much (some years ago)
  • Meera Syal's one of the good guys. I sent her a short story, and she wrote the following:
    "Thanks for sending me Operation Lonely Heart - very poignant and well observed. It's very tough finding a publisher - I could paper my bedroom with rejection slips - but don't give up, it will happen if you want it enough."
    She then went on to suggest sending it to her editor. (I did, but it was no go.)
  • I know what Milhouse means, I've had the odd rant about celebs being published myself, and no doubt will again!  But Meera Syal's celebship came about after she co-wrote and co-starred in Goodness Gracious Me, rather through one of those dubious routes to fame which are so common now.  I agree she's talented - she's written novels, comedy and drama for TV/radio and even the book for the musical Bombay Dreams.

I'll watch The One Show later - thanks for telling us, Jan.
  • Just finished watching the piece. Sarah Harrison, was a guest speaker at Swanick in 2005, and she was very funny, in a quirky sort of way.
    Obviously to be guaranteed sales you need to be on Richard and Judy's booklist!
  • One day they will be begging me Carol... he.. he.. he.. Or maybe not. To be honest, I'd rather appear on the paul O'grady show.
  • Life Isn't All Ha Ha Hee Hee was a very good book. Bad title, but good book.
  • We can all dream Milhouse. Actually the item wasn't as twee as I thought it might be, but it didn't say anything we didn't know.
  • Our video recorder went wrong, so I still haven't seen the whole TV version.
  • I heard Anita and Me on the radio, and it was brilliant!