Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Exeunt? Exit?

edited September 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• A friend of mine has just started writing plays. At the end of the scene she had written 'Exeunt "character's name"' Now I have read Shakespeare and have seen it in there but is it used in modern plays? Has it been changed to 'Exit'? I know that I should be looking in modern plays for my answer but all I can find is Shakespeare.
  • It's a long time since I did Latin at school, but 'Exeunt' looks like a plural verb to me.  The singular would probably be 'Exit'.
  • I can remember a cartoon character saying "Exit Stage Left" and "Exit Stage Right" (Was it Snagglepus? Can't remember) Anyway, that sounds more sensible to me.
  • Exit (n) departure of actor from stage.  (v.i.) (Stage Direction): (actor) leaves stage.(lit. or fig.; Exit Macbeth).
    From the Concise Oxford Dictionary.
  • Tilly? It was Snagglepuss, your memory was right.
  • Yes, exeunt is just the plural of exit (the verb). No idea if it's always used nowadays, though.
  • The verb is exire = to go out, depart, leave.
    Exit = he/she/it leaves.
    Exeunt = they leave.
  • Well, as the saying goes, you learn something new every day. The definitions in this thread were my new thing for today.
  • Yep, and I learned that it WAS Snagglepuss!
  • Thank you. I think Exit is the safest bet.