Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Trouble finding suitable magazine for article

edited September 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Now that my Google link problem has finally been resolved; I'm now settling down to find a magazine to approach with the story.
    My problem is there are very few that it looks like it might fit with.
    Possibles are Woman/ Woman's Own. Not sure about Woman and Home. I've downloaded their media packs so can see the type of readership. Had a look at last week's W/WO. But need to study a few more.
    Computer magazines are more equipment, games orientated.
    Other mainstream women's magazines are really too much into the real life sensationalist/shock horror mode. Or the other end of the scale like People's Friend.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions that it could be worth considering?
  • Is it possible to change the story slightly so that it will fit a magazine that you have looked at?
  • Kelly
    I will slant the angle of the article, depending on which magazine I approach first. I'd hope to make it advisory, not just my personal experience with the problem I had. (The start of the incident began a few months before you joined, so if you look at the 'Googling yourself' thread you will see what happened, initially.)
    Dorothy, I noticed Tonic as I was cueing up at the counter in W.H.Smiths. I will have a look at it when I go in on Thursday. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Have you considered the national press? It's just that it's something that would interest a lot of people.
  • Amboline, Marie Clare is basically fashion based, beauty etc. Writers Handbook info says 'with strong international features and fashion'.
    I would prefer the more serious monthly magazines, but quite a few either don't accept freelance stuff or are more fashion/celebrity stuff.
    I'll be having a look at some of the newer magazines.
    Now newspapers are another thing. I look at the online Daily Mail, and it's possible if I slant it in one way. But I would welcome other newspaper suggestions. Do you think the Guardian might be a possibility?
  • Hi Carol. You mentioned the Guardian as a possibility for your piece, so I thought it might be helpful to say that they print an IT supplement on Thursdays and also have an IT section on the Guardian Unlimited website www.guardian.co.uk. Either of these could be a good home.
  • Thanks TT. Katy, I've just been having a look at the Guardian Unlimited, and their Women's section on a Tuesday looks a good possibility.  They have first person articles in this section, and I think they would consider it.
    If anyone thinks there is anywhere else that might be worth looking at, I'd be grateful.
  • Just noticed that there's an article about Tonic on page 15 of October's Writers' News.
  • Thanks Jay, I must have missed that. I'll have a close look.